Finished my coop today...going shopping tomorrow, what do I need?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by abejita, Jun 14, 2011.

1. abejita

abejita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Hi all! This is my first post here. I am about to venture into the world of chicken keeping. I finished up my coop today (still need to make a couple of nesting boxes, though) I am going shopping tomorrow for supplies. What do you suggest is essential for getting started?

So far on my list, I have:
    feed
    feeder
    waterer
    pine shavings
    hay

hmmm, what else do I need to start? I am getting my pullets on Thursday. They are about 14 wks old.
    My coop is 10x8, with a raised 3x8 henhouse enclosed. let me figure out how to post a pic, and I'll show you.

Thanks for the help!

2. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    oops, I guess I can't post a pic just yet because I am a newbie...Oh, well, I'll post pics later...when the girls move in, LOL!

3. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    Sounds like you have everything you need except the peepers. Make sure your camera batteries are charged, lol.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Suggest you think about using recycling bins for nest boxes and simply throw a small handful of chips for bedding. The plastic bins will wipe easily and stack or sit on floor nicely. Also with chips in the nest boxes, you don't need hay.

You might want to pick up a few containers of meal worms for treats as well as some bread or fruit for treats too.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

You can use just about anything for nest boxes. Plastic recycle bins as has been suggested, 5 gallon buckets set on thier side, milk crates, plastic totes, kitty litter boxes, fruit boxes, just about anything a hen can set in. Mine chose an out of the wya corner of the coop on the floor

6. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    I always keep some oyster shell and chicken grit on hand to prevent sour crops and give calcium.

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Treats !! They won't mind you without treats. Black oiled sunflower seeds its better than scratch. Better for the chickens that is. Higher protein.

8. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I was thinking about grit and calcium last night...I'll add that to the list.

I have a leaf compost pile that they will have access to and I added a ton of earthworms to them, so I am sure they will have fun with that!

9. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Yay! I can post pics now...here is my coop!

[​IMG]

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    nice coop!!! your shopping list is perfect.....just add the chickens and voila!!! welcome to byc!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by