finished my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RayP, Jun 5, 2008.

1. RayP

RayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Gainesville Florida
    Here is my finally finished coop.
    [​IMG]
    The top is a tree house my kids rarely use, there is access to the laying boxes from the outside numbered 1,2, and 3, so we can say "what is behind door number 3".
    [​IMG]
    Padlocks are for my 4 year old who does not mind well.
    [​IMG]
    View of the egg boxes, the flannel sheet is so they can go under at night, in the right box there is a false bottom that is out at this time so the heat lamp can shine in the brooder, when they are older I will just slip the floor in the box.
    [​IMG]
    This is the feeder I built for them, I meant it to hold 50lbs of feed but it has 60lbs in it at this time and could take another 100lbs, got to learn to recheck my math.

2. pvc coop

pvc coop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Now that's a feeder.

3. countryatheart

countryatheart Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Victoria, TX
    Is that a "window" for checking the feed level? Cool![​IMG]

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Feed on! That looks cool.... I wish I could build stuff like you guys, but I'm a girl that never had shop class [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
  6. PAChickenChick

PAChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Quote:Dangerous....
    Isn't it funny how I often think the same about you....I wish I could process my own food like you do...but I'm the girl who never got her hands in the dirt.... [​IMG]

Actually if you ever get your hands on some of the smaller power tools you'll be surprised at how quickly you get the hang of it. Pretty much the big rules are:
    Always wear safety goggles
    Always know where the cord is while working
    Always keep your hands away from the (blade, bit...whatever)

After that it's just trial and error and you'll get it. Your first attempts may look funny but I expect my first chicken will prolly still have the lungs or something left in...hahahaha

(the first time I cooked a store bought chicken I left the bag & neck inside....that was fun ;P)

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    With a feeder like that, you are definately going to need more chickens [​IMG]

8. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    i'm jealous [​IMG]

9. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Chicken folks are incredibly creative. I love how everyone just uses what they've got and turns it into something great. Good job.

10. mudshark

mudshark Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    UK
    I think I might have to copy that feeder...how do you work out the dimensions for a given amount of feed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by