Finished my ducky hut

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AngieChick, May 28, 2010.

1. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

This is my 3rd poultry coop. I would have to say that this one was the easiest and went the quickest.

The wood on the siding is 140 year old barn wood from a barn down the street. Most of the nails in it were square. Surprisingly when I was sawing it, I found that the wood was in excellent shape. It had that fresh wood shavings smell. I'm sure the wood came from around here, as well. The roof is hinged. The door and the roof have padlocks on them (stupid raccoons). The door is a bright purple cabinet door. The floor of the hut is hardware cloth. I put shavings on it for insulation, but I will switch to hay once I get some from the feed store. They are only 4 weeks old, so there is a light in there. They have been outside the past 4 days, playing (it's been in the 60's). They have seemed perfectly comfortable, no huddling. I did notice that their feathers started coming in much faster after they started going outside.

You can see their little pond right behind it, all in the veggie garden. I rigged a spigot on the pond to be able to use the pond water to fertilize my veggies. Not the leafy greens, mind, just at the base of the tomatoes, etc. The whole garden is on a slope. If you look carefully at the pond, you can see my rinky dinky branch railing on the side. There is a big drop off behind it (well, only around 4 feet, but high enough). The first time I tossed them in it they got freaked out by a crow and flopped over the edge. Oh, and their little pet bantam chick jumped in the pond. It was a mess. Fortunately, they were fine. Sand surrounds the pond and there are some cinder block steps up to it. They haven't figured out how to get up yet, even when I tried luring them to peek over the edge with strategically placed peas.

The best part is that the little stink bomb ducklings are out of my garage at last.

[​IMG]

It's around 4 foot by 5 foot.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

It looks nice [​IMG]

About how much did the roofing cost? I have been thinking of doing that type on any new houses/buildings i have to make for the ducks & other animals.

3. blissdragon

blissdragon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Eugene
    Very nice! That vent window...its beautiful. Did you make that?? Or is it reused from some other structure? It does look like predators could make it through, though...minks, anyway. Maybe you have electric fencing around the perimeter...maybe you don't have minks...
    If you do, you could add some wire mesh.
    Thanks for sharing!

4. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Thanks for the feedback!

Bleenie: the metal roofing was about $20 for a 3ftx8ft piece. It was bit of a pain to cut, but should last for many many years and doesn't add a lot of weight - important when you want to make a structure with a hinged roof. I plan on using it for my next shed as well.

BlissDragon: thanks! Those vents were a find from Habitat for Humanity. They look to be from around the '30s or '40s. Unlike other vent covers that I've found, these ones are very sturdy. I did line the back with hardware cloth just in case (it's hard to see from the picture). We have raccoons here, and I didn't want them reaching through for my birds. There is one weak point right now: there is an inch gap in between the door and the framing for the floor. I will be shoring up that spot tomorrow. We do have plenty of predators here, no use making things too easy for them. I loathe working with hardware cloth, but it does the job. I think we do have minks and fisher cats, I'm on the west side of Philomath, around 7 miles west of Corvallis. In the hills.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Totally sweet! I'm once again so jealous!!!!

6. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    This is great... I am aquiring 7 ducklings this morning and this post has given me some great ideas....thanks:D

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I also really like those vents, i saw some a few days back at Home Depot & they also have the hardware cloth on the back. They had a couple different sizes....i am trying to create in my mind a little building to use them on, lol.

8. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Ask if they carry closable soffit vents. They can be closed in winter. I have those at my shop and I close them in winter to keep the attic warmer. Works like a charm.
    Katharina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by