1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finished my treadle feeder! **Updated with video!**

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nonny, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    In case anyone was interested, I've made a page here with pics etc showing the progress as I worked on it. :)

Just need to do a final coat of paint and reassemble and it's all finished.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Gosh, nice job.

Imp

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Congrats!
    I should probably stop procrastinating about making a real one.
    Nowadays we just scatter the feed on the ground, and they don't pick up the darker seeds. [​IMG]

4. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    ray's two cents :

Congrats!
    I should probably stop procrastinating about making a real one.
    Nowadays we just scatter the feed on the ground, and they don't pick up the darker seeds. [​IMG]

LOL - that's what I was doing for a while, but our yard is also home to kookaburra, butcher birds, doves, pigeons, minahs, lorikeets, magpies and a single bush turkey. They don't all eat the chook food, but the ones that do make a pretty good dent in our feed budget.​

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Well done Nonny! [​IMG] It looks better than mine! The best part will be all the chook food you'll save. Congratulations! [​IMG]

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Quote:LOL - that's what I was doing for a while, but our yard is also home to kookaburra, butcher birds, doves, pigeons, minahs, lorikeets, magpies and a single bush turkey. They don't all eat the chook food, but the ones that do make a pretty good dent in our feed budget.

Snap, those pigeons with the crests are our main culprits. We usually have to stand watch over feeding time now. [​IMG]
    The lorikeets have enough to eat already though: as soon as the fruit on our trees goes ripe they're busy before we can even get out there to pick. [​IMG]

7. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Here is my feeder. It needs 1.5lbs to open the lid.

[​IMG]

8. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote:That's an awesome feeder Speedy! I'm intrigued about the wall mounting though - did it take them long to not get freaked out by the lid opening? (I'm assuming that they actually fly up to it and it opens as they land?)

I still have to figure out where in the run my one will go, then put it up on blocks off the ground, and make a canopy of sorts to rain proof it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  9. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Finished! Here's a pic of the completed feeder, and I'm uploading a short video clip of it as well, so I'll add a link once it's done loading. :)

[​IMG]

And here's the link! :)

(Sorry - it's a bit blurry, not sure what happened there as it looked fine on my computer until I uploaded it).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  10. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Cool! How do you make it do that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by