Finished! New coop is ready!

Henriettamom919

Crowing
May 1, 2019
North of Seattle
Firstly, we began the design and construction before I became a regular here and there's several things I'll be changing on the next build. We'll be building a larger coop that will incorporate our existing three layers and our pullets over the summer. This began as a larger coop for my first three big girls pre-chick purchasing and before I knew about chicken math :gig

My girls clearly love the extra space and are choosing to lay here even before it was done! It still needs needs a permanent entry door and storm hatches over the pop out screens.

IMG_20190521_203711.jpg IMG_20190521_203727.jpg IMG_20190521_203752.jpg

Yes you certainly can! No guarentees on genders, but it's very commonly done.

I think I’d better get him used to the idea of having chickens before I try any sleight-of-hand with fertilized eggs. We had an interruption in our last big weekend for coop-building and now this upcoming weekend is our last big weekend, I hope! His poor 88 year old mother fell and broke her hip. Needless to say we got nowhere with coop building. She is doing remarkably well; surgery was over in the wink of an eye and now she is in rehab for a couple of weeks.

I am retiring at the end of June and I am so ready.

I think I’d better get him used to the idea of having chickens before I try any sleight-of-hand with fertilized eggs. We had an interruption in our last big weekend for coop-building and now this upcoming weekend is our last big weekend, I hope! His poor 88 year old mother fell and broke her hip. Needless to say we got nowhere with coop building. She is doing remarkably well; surgery was over in the wink of an eye and now she is in rehab for a couple of weeks.

I am retiring at the end of June and I am so ready.
I retired in 2014. Got tired of being re-tired. 2.5 years ago I started a weekend job. A year after that I started chickens. The job helps pay to fix all the mistakes I've made along the way. :gig

I expect I’ll pick up work after the summer. And I do have some freelance work to do. I’m turning 66 next month, and all the numbers work, and I had a wicked bad commute. So I decided it was time!

Chickens are definitely a retirement project for me!

@Henriettamom919 , I really love your coop! Great job for a first coop build! I'm very excited to see your new one built if this is an example of your skills.

Thank you! :loveHubby does a lot of the heavy lifting but I'm handy with a nail gun and planning! I built my rabbit hutches as a teen so I had some basic idea. Naturally there are about 5764 things I'd do differently now that it's done but that's what the walk in is for!

As for cost, I literally just applied at our town co-op to curb my chicken spending bill :oops: This will of course lead to more chickens:gig

Back
Top Bottom