Finished Our Coop! I'm Changing the Litter Though

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickeepoo, Dec 28, 2008.

1. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    We finished the new run, attached the henhouse, and added the hens… and they seem to be adjusting to being "in" as opposed to their free-range stint. But they did scratch up the layer of gravel we put in over the sand and under the pine shavings to the point I think we'll redo with just sand and shavings on top.
    There's 1/2" mesh buried under the blocks, so they couldn't dig to China even if they tried.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like you'll have a mix of sun and shade too depending on the time of day...looking good and I'm sure you're feeling they're more secure! [​IMG]

3. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    How Cute! Love the color too!

4. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Love your playhouse coop. I have the larger version still in the box to put together in the spring. Do your girls like it? How is it to clean?

5. chickeepoo

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks all! And BeauCoop, my hens LOVE their playhouse… they watched us putting it together and knew it was theirs from the first minute- had to keep shooing them out just to get any work done. I bolted a short 1x3 up in each end to hold their roost, and they went in the first night. Last coop I had to put them in sometimes, and I had to count 4 heads every night to make sure the predators didn't snack on them. This is MUCH more relaxing for them AND for me!

6. chickeepoo

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    OOPS, forgot to tell you, I just scoop out the poopies and stir the pine shavings. I couldn't get DE here locally, so I got Stall-Dry to keep down dampness. The only hitch I've had is those diggin' hens tore up the gravel.

7. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Chickeepoo,
    do you have any pics of the inside of your coop? I am trying to get some ideas for mine in the spring.

8. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    That coop is just adorable! I love it.

9. chickeepoo

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Beau Coop, I'll get some interior pics downloaded so you can see, but so far we haven't done more than cut a door to the run, cover the vents with screen and the windows with hardware cloth and screen, and put the roost in the length of the little house (parallel to the front door). I need to make 2 smaller new nest boxes about 14x14" to put under the front window instead of the old one they were using in the yard (I put it in there initially so they wouldn't get "ruffled" about being moved)[​IMG]

10. chickeepoo

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I rounded the top of the 2x4 for their roost, which rests on the 1x3's that are secured with 1 1/2" bolts through the siding. The windows are secured from predators/escapees with hardware cloth and screen. The dutch door has latches and a slide bolt. I also put spring-loaded latches on the shutter doors for inclement weather. The floor is covered with vinyl for easier cleaning. That nest box is to be replaced with 2 smaller 12x14" ones so 2 birds at a time can be laying (we've had a couple of pile-ups in the box recently). The cut out door is reinforced with 1x2's, but I see in the pic there's a stray screw poking through from outside- have to get pull that out. I do plan to paint the house because that's just the factory first-coat they spray on. Same color maybe, I like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by