Finished our coop, pics - THANK YOU, BYC!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GardenGal, Jul 27, 2011.

1. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Well, close to finished [​IMG] We will have to replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth, but for now they're just out when we're home - and since we work from home a lot, that's quite a bit. We built the coop from pallets and salvaged lumber, and the run from salvaged lumber. Not a lot of money, but definitely some sweat equity! So grateful for all I've learned from you guys. Still have a lot to learn, but that's okay. No one's given me the stink eye for a while now [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Looks great.

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Nice job! I love the purple [​IMG] Also that is a great photo of your chicken!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  4. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    I plan on also doing a pallet coop.

What was most efficient in taking apart the pallets? Any other pointers? [​IMG]

5. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    Congrats from yet another Washingtonian. And I thought my coop was cheap to build. Bravo! You're spoiling your chickens, as they should be!

6. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. Looks good [​IMG]

7. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    It looks great! How bad are your winters (I'm thinking about the ventilation you have. It could be drafty in the winters, depending on the climate you endure.

8. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Thank you!

Winters are usually pretty uneventful, highs in the low 50s, lows in the low 40s. I think I went overboard after reading about the importance of ventilation! We had talked about blocking it up a bit before it gets chilly, forgot about that.

Oh yes, and the paint was left over from another project. DIY definitely takes longer though. Almost August and I told my husband we'd be done in two weeks! And he believed me! Mwah hah hah!

9. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Love your coop and your little Speckled Sussex! I'm sure they will enjoy their new home. [​IMG]

10. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Great job! [​IMG]
    Love the sky light, it makes the coop bright n airy feeling. I think your vent openings are good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by