Finished our coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ange92040, Mar 18, 2012.

1. ange92040

ange92040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Lockhart, TX
    Finished converting the bunny hutch our friend gave us and added a run
    My son had a good time building it as a Spring Break project
    We finished Thurs. and got 4 hens on Friday

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Very neat. I might just have to take some ideas from you.

3. 3ChickensinNC

3ChickensinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    on the coast
    This is great. I really like it.

4. ange92040

Mar 9, 2012
    Lockhart, TX
    Thanks my son is very attentive to them. We are having a problem with one of our dogs trying trying to get to them I don't want to stress them out so when she is out back we tr\ie her where she can't reach the coop or run, anyone have any ideas on how to stop a dog from trying to get to them?

5. OCpeep

OCpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    [​IMG]

Looks great! I don't have any advice for the dog issue. Sorry.

6. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    looks really good.
    we are dealing with the issue of our dogs as well. we have 2 german shepherds (male 2 yr/old & female 1 yr/old - neutered/spayed). the male has been really aggressive toward my chicks from the beginning. the female quietly and intently watches them. we have spent quite a lot of time w/the dogs being with us & watching the birds. i speak to the birds in the same voice i use when i'm babying the dogs. in my mind, the dog may get the impression the chickens matter to me & therefore should not be harmed - that may be laughable - i don't know yet. we also play w/the dogs near the chickens so the dogs choose their ball over the chickens & get rewarded by the ball being thrown (they're ball crazy).
    i doubt my chickens will ever be really safe from the dogs, but i'm hoping to create a bit of a buffer in the dog's mind that may inhibit killing the chickens.
    the other thing i'm hoping is that as the dogs mature & the longer the chickens are in our lives, the dogs will begin to take them for granted.

good luck with yours

7. ange92040

Mar 9, 2012
    Lockhart, TX
    Thanks for your advise and you don't sound laughable, I believe they get jealous. We are telling her that she is a good girl when she ignores the chickens and she seemed to do so well that we let her be tied closer to the coop and run and when she was she jumped and barked at the chickens so now we have to try over again and good luck with your dog issue.

8. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feed treats to both, dogs and chickens, at the same time. Maybe feed the chickens something through the fence when the dogs are right there. They will get the message that the chickens are supposed to be there. German Shepherds are VERY intelligent dogs, they'll get it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  9. ange92040

Mar 9, 2012
    Lockhart, TX
    Our dog is a catahoula and very stubborn she knows the chickens are supposed to be there and we untie her she seems to be fine then we turn our back for one second and attacks our old 3 legged Choc lab if he gets to close to the coop or goes for the coop and run. We are at our wits ends but we may make a fence around them so that she can see them and not get to the chickens and when she finally gets use to them then maybe we can take down the fence and move them around again. wish us luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by