1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finished processing our cornish x yesterday

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by erinszoo, Nov 27, 2011.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Well, we processed our last six cornish x yesterday. One didn't dress out well so we had to skin it. Not sure why because all of the others plucked really well and easily. It took my daughter and I about 10 minutes per bird to get through them. Here's a pic of the other five. The 2 smallest ones, number 3 and 4 from the left here, were both 5 3/4 lbs dressed out. The other four were all over 6 lbs each and the two biggest ones were almost 8 lbs dressed weight. These birds were 9 weeks old. Kind of glad to have the smell and mess of them gone but I know we are going to get more next spring except they will have their own space next time. I've got some ideas for managing smell and mess better so we'll see if we can implement them before spring. I'll keep you posted!!

[​IMG]

2. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

10 minutes a bird! Holy smokes that's fast. Did you have some kind of plucker?

3. machoman

machoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2011
    Very nice! They look lovely.

4. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Quote:Nope, no plucker. Just me and my 14 year old daughter together.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Cornish Cross are amazingly easy to pluck. One more reason they excel at what they do. The feathers just about wipe off if the bird is properly scalded.

6. daisybelle

daisybelle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    We just processed ours on Sunday and all went well except I had several birds that had these short feathers (1/4 inch or less) that were a pain to get out. All the other feathers came right off. They seemed like feathers that never came out. Did you have this on any of your birds? We got them from McMurray.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    What age did you process?

8. daisybelle

daisybelle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    They were 6 1/2 weeks.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  9. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Good job. They look perfect. Can I hire your daughter next time I need a plucker??

10. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    And I know EXACTLY what you mean about the smell... Not quite 100% chicken genetics if you ask me... which you did not!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by