Finished Shed To Coop pictures?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Morgan7782, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I have done a search on this but can't find any finished products! [​IMG] If anybody has a SHED - TO - COOP project finished please respond with pictures or link to story! I am looking for idea's for all types of shed-coops. Looking for 8x6 or 8x10, bigger coops. Thanks!

2. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Just posted mine check out the post entitled: Finally finishe my coop! Yah, I spelled it wrong [​IMG]

3. CT_Todd

CT_Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT
    In Progress...(No pics yet)

I have started with a 9x13 foot shed (salt box style). Basically I kept part of the shed still a shed...(storage etc). My coop demensions are approx 5x9. I will post pics in the next few days..Almost 6 week old chicks are going in tomorrow and I will be sure to take and post pics...Run is being built right now..

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:Is your shed metal, plastic, or wood? I am thinking of 6x8 or 8x10, and would do the same as you. Use part for the coop and part for storage. I will look forward to pictures!!

Also will check that thread out now! Thanks!

5. CT_Todd

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT
  6. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
  7. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
  8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Here is my shed-to-coop conversion. Excuse the mess all round about it, I just finished adding an extension yesterday. It's an 8x6 shed. The run on the right (8x9) was the original one I built and it's got a tin roof. The run on the left (8x8)I just added recently - I've still got to cut out a pop hole yet - and it's just got enough of a 'roof' to keep rain from running down the outside wall of the shed. The runs aren't very big but my chickens free range most of the day anyway. I keep them in till about 10am to encourage them to lay in the coop so their run just needs to be big enough to keep them happy till they get let out for the day.

[​IMG]

Here's the nesting box on the back wall of the shed. It's available online as an add-on for purpose-built chicken coops but I just chopped a hole the right size for it in the wall of my shed and it works fine.

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of the inside. I've got a perch on each side and I'm going to add another nesting box soon as I'm now up to nearly 20 chickens (I started with eight!)

[​IMG]

I don't know how many chickens are supposed to fit in an 8x6 shed, but mine don't seem crowded at night. They all huddle up together by choice, ten of them on one of the perches and eight on the floor, and they squeeze up against each other so tight that the shed seems almost empty!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  9. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    S.W. Washington State
    The right side is the coop. I put a dividing wall up, cut the window, and fenced in the run outside. There's a rope and pulley that operates the coop door from outside the run.
    [​IMG]
    The coop from the shed. You can see the ramp to the nesting boxes and the roost.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  10. CT_Todd

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by