Finished with my coop! Well ...almost.

Kidhenduckohmy

Songster
8 Years
Jun 18, 2012
Upper Michigan
I decided to put my coop in the corner of my garage. It is about 8'×15'. We put in two large windows. My son, age 10, and two daughters helped me with all the work. Well...I had to enlist in the help of one of my husbands buddies for the ceiling.

I used old barn wood that was given to me for the outside walls and doors.

I am putting in a separate room with its own nest boxes and pop door.

I did insulate the two exterior walls. Next spring I will finish the separate room and roosts. ( I just have temporary roosts in now) I am also going to put up two covered runs.
Can't wait for spring!

Yes, about 28. This is my second coop. The first one was about 7'×7' and about a four foot tall ceiling. This one is sooo much bigger, and it is great we can walk into it!
This spring though I want to get some buff orpintons and some blue orpingtons.

Update. My coop is almost all set, just some landscaping and a few minor things. Here are some more pictures.

Out side of coop. Two sets of nest boxes. One set seperaTed for my "baby" area.

My separated room. It has its own nest boxes, roosts and pop door with covered run.

This is the run off the separated room. Right now I have my baby orpingtons in the pen. They can see the flock, roost right next to them, yet are separated.

Here is my main run. My husband built the covered run this summer, still a bit to do. This winter I want to close in the covered run to give them more space during the snowy days.
My old red coop is in the background. I was going to tear it down, but now I am thinking of remodeling it and adding more chickens. :)
Next summer I am looking forward to landscaping in front of run. I have lots of plans!

I like your thinking to keep the old coop for more chickens!
lol.png

Aart
Yeah, I know. :) It's been a rough year. Husband has kidney failure so money is tight and it gets hard to get out there. But he just finished(mostley)with the roof on the big covered run.
He just has a small piece to finish on the edges. But yet again we got delayed as he got a call for a kidney/pancreas, and we drove 8 hours, stayed overnight in the hospital, just to find out pancreas was not good. :( So feeling bummed.
Next summer is landscaping. I want to put in a railroad tie path, raised flower bed, (to put herbs in for the chickens) and a trellis/gate to enter the large open run.
Plus maybe a makeover on old coop, duck house, duck pool, goat building/pen.....never ending! So maybe next year, God willing, I will have more updates. :)

Last edited:
@Kidhenduckohmy you guys have had a lot on your plates. Wishing you both the best
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom