Finished with my girls next coop.(pics)

J&KV

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
West Georgia
Just thought I would share some pics of our next coop. We plan on getting more chickens and I figured it was time for a little upgrade. I'll post more pics later when we finish.
big_smile.png

9686_hpim1810.jpg

9686_hpim1812.jpg

9686_hpim1811.jpg

I got a lot of ideas off of the coop pics on this web site. Please let me know if you guys have any advice we could use. I'm definitly using the hard ware fencing this time for better protection for our girls. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have thought about doing for my next coop, building in an egg roller, collection thing, if not too hard. Mostly because I have friends and family that I have come over and collect eggs if I am on a long trip(more then 2 days), of course they feed and water too, anyway often they are worried about being pecked or the like so I thought it would be nice for them to not have to reach into the nest.

I've seen some pix on here of feeder designs I would emulate, I did a search but did not find them.
sad.png
That's ok though, it's easy to describe. They basically took PVC pipes and used fittings to make an upside down T. Each end had a cap on it. Holes were drilled for feed access, and all they had to do was fill the main pipe from the top and let it gravity feed, but it held more than a typical store bought feeder.

For water I like the design in post # 2 here or what Nifty uses. I think each is basically the same but would each be better for different people/uses. I have to worry about frozen water for about 5 months of the year so I'd have to switch back and forth or use heat tape or... but being that I see grass in your pix, I doubt you have to worry about that.

Sadly, with the economy causing a rise in thefts, I'd also build in human protection. IE: padlockable doors(both chicken and egg), and use a few screws to secure the wire to the frame. Until you feel the need you can just use Carabiner type clips, unless you have a coon issue, which a padlock would be good for too...

Thanks for the ideas about the PVC pipes as a feeder.I've seen that picture of the upside down T and I think i may install one of those in our new coop. I'm starting back to work on our coop today. I might try and do an egg roller contraption as well. Thanks for the input.
cool.png

Here's some updated pictures of our girl's next coop. I just need to put the roost in, put the shingles on, and build the run.

Here's the nest boxes that I slid in and bolted into place.

The chick door

wow! its wonderful!! my ducks would be very jealous. their house is nice but doesn't look nearly that good! their pen is okay and its on wheels so in the summer they get new grass at night all the time
great job!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Thanks! I think we are going to end up painting it to match the smaller coop. We're putting shingles on, we ran out of the left over metal roofing.

Quote:
Thanks! I have a pair of old wheels I'm thinking about putting on the smaller coop with the attached run. All the grass is gone where my girls are at now.

Back
Top Bottom