Finisher vs Layer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by peacemaker, May 19, 2011.

1. peacemaker

peacemaker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    I have 14 ten week olds and just purchased two laying hens. I was concerned about the layers not getting enough calcium for laying and switched to a layer feed for all. They get to free range in the yard for at least two hours a day. After reading some of these post, it looks like I should be more concerned about the pullets and less about the layers. I have used less than 1/4 of the 50lb layer feed. Should I stop using it now or would it be ok to finish and then go back to the grower/finisher? Will the laying hens get enough calcium from foraging in the yard and getting food scraps or should I supplement them?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

What you COULD do is buy some grower or raiser and feed the all the same thing. Offer your hens some shells on the side, if you detect thin egg shells.
    They'll likely go through that bag in three weeks. At that point? I'd feed that bag of layer and from then on if you wish. At 17 weeks, they would be awfully near point of lay and the layer would do no harm. That way, it's win-win and no wasted money on feed.

3. peacemaker

peacemaker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Sounds like a plan! Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by