finishing food for soon-to-be meat roosters?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TeamChaos, Sep 6, 2010.

1. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I have several 23 week old generic white roosters that came as packing peanuts in my egg layer order- I cannot keep them through the winter and processing them seems like the best option. They have been eating layer mash along with the ladies and free ranging with plenty of scraps. My father in law said I should finish them on corn before I process them. Any input/experience/advice on the matter?
    thanks

2. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I am going to follow this thread to find out your answer. I have been wondering the same thing about my roosters. I have just about finished my tractor to separate them off in and know there is probably something we should be feeding them to grow them out a bit before 'processing'.

So, I am following you.

3. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Chickens are omnivores, finish them on what you started them on.

I prefer to withhold food 24 hours prior to processing to keep the guts clean.

4. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Corn is high calorie and low protein ; not great for growing but unequaled in adding fat for increased tenderness and flavor .

5. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I just withheld food for about 12-18 hours before butchering. I caught the roo(s) when they were roosting for the evening, put them in a dog crate with water, and processed sometime the next day when I was ready [​IMG] They ate whatever everyone else was eating - layer pellets now, grass, bugs, scraps.

They were tasty [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by