Finishing my aviary.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheNeonPanther, Nov 22, 2015.

1. TheNeonPanther

TheNeonPanther Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2015
    Conroe/Willis, Tx
    My Coop
    I started a aviary for my quail along with my dad seeing that he needed friends after his mate(?) died at less than 6 months old. We got about over halfway when my dad starting to not work on it anymore and refuses to do so any longer, even when I have 3 chicks and 2 adults (one mine) that need some sort of better housing. The walls are up, the ceiling is on, the chicken wire windows and ventilation installed, but I still need to add a door and a small outside box that hangs out the window. (But is still attached to the aviary, think of a window AC unit.) I need help on how to attach the door to the hinges and to the side and how to secure the outside box and make it predator safe without a electric fence for a short period of time. (cats, coons, curious dogs, possums) Thanks!
    (PS, anyone who is worried about the quail, I know better not to plop them in together. Unless they start badly panicking about being separated, they will be separated.)

2. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    If you do a search on hanging doors, or maybe hinges a bunch of useful videos should pop up. Chicken wire isn't coon proof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by