Finishing question - Internal Wood Stabilizer & Paint?

Caity

Songster
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Central, NC
Hi Everyone,

We're up-cooping this spring and I had a couple questions regarding wood finishes.I just purchased some Internal Wood Stabilizer from TimberPro UV--billed to be extremely durable and non-toxic--but it doesn't contain any UV protection and it doesn't allow for the use of a stain, so I'm faced with the option of just letting it age au natural and turning grey or painting. I'm a little leery of painting only because I don't see how I would possibly be able to sand & reapply down the road without taking the hardware cloth down, which I have zero interest in doing. Has anyone out there used Internal Wood Stabilizer? Did you paint?

Thanks!

Caity

I was really hoping someone had used this product and could give some kind of feedback. I've been looking at it off and on, wondering what would be best use for it, and if it works as advertised. (So here is my wordy version of a bump. Sorry OP.)

Many use Internal Wood Stabilizer on the frame and any support boards that go down to the ground and it works exactly as advertised. A non toxic permanent wood waterproofer that has zero VOC's (odor) is a fantastic solution to wood weathering issues because fowl is super sensitive to chemicals. If you do want the "outside" siding part of your coop to be pretty though, use a very low VOC exterior latex paint and if its solid wood siding (not plywood) use the Internal Wood Stabilizer on it first as a primer. Give the siding 3 weeks for the IWS to "do its thing" however before you paint over it. Another alternative is to stain the exterior siding with a low VOC stain, such as the stain formula made by Timber Pro Coatings which only has 34 grams per litre VOC's, an industry low.

Hello,

I am also considering using internal wood stabilizer for a chicken coop. Did you end up using it? I would be curious to hear your thoughts if you did.

Thanks

I've never heard of wood stabilizer, so I'm interested in what others have to say...we're having a new shed built, so it would be a great investment to apply it.

Not sure if the used Over EZ coop will need or accept it. It's already been used by chooks.

https://timberprocoatingsusa.com/products/internal-wood-stabilizer/

It absorbs into intreated wood and turns to glass. Non toxic.

I just spoke with someone who builds chicken coops. Great stuff, http://www.thegardencoop.com/
He said the internal wood stabilizer shows no signs of rot after 13 years for wood elevated off the ground. However when used on an elevated garden bed, for example, the constant contact with damp soil will cause rot. I think for our coop we will redesign so the base part in contact with the ground is not made of wood.

Back
Top Bottom