finishing raw pine for longevity

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kvan, Jun 16, 2011.

1. kvan

kvan New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    Hi all, I searched the forums for this but had trouble putting my finger on anything.
    Those of you with pine-sided coops who have had them for a few years....what is best for me to finish the wood with?

I do want to allow the wood to grey and darken, show the wood grain, etc but do not want it too soak up water, trap water under the finish, mildew or rot all over. I also want to be able to re-coat whatever finish in a few years for longevity, but want it to work and still look good.

1. oil-based stain with oil-based varnish over it?
    2. water based stain with polyurethane over it?
    3. oil based stain with nothing over it?
    4. water based stain with nothing over it?
    5. oil based paint?
    6. water based paint? (latex)
    7. enamel paint? (alcohol-based)
    8. Cuperinol?

something else?

blessings

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've used that copper wood preserver that you use on fresh cuts in all weather wood, with great success but even oil motor oil will block water absorbtion

3. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    Thompson's or any similar product meant for decks and such will allow the wood to naturally age (gray and darken) but will protect from water, it's quite cheap compared to poly's and very easy to apply. You could even rent or use a sprayer if you have one and it would go on in just a few minutes.

4. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    maybe penofin?

5. Horizon Structures

Horizon Structures Official BYC Sponsor

Jul 1, 2009
    Atglen, PA
    On our pine board and batten stuff, we use an oil-based stain. You can get a variety of colored stains or just clear. I also agree with Homesteadmomma that any sort of deck stain is fine!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  6. kvan

kvan New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    Great info, thank you all.
    A builder friend of mine suggested penofin today( which I had never even heard of), as latebloomer did.
    I will make a decision this weekend, once I decide if I want a color or not. Any of you know if I can put penofin over a waterbed stain? (for color)
    Maybe I can check product info if there is a brand website....

7. Feeder

Feeder Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Rolling Prairie, IN.
    I will be using Thompson's on my coop, spraying should be a breeze. Then apply yearly not a big deal.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by