Finishing the roof.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by azurbanchickens, Apr 9, 2012.

1. azurbanchickens

azurbanchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    So I'm almost finished with my 12 x 10 ft coop. The roof is slanted. Looking at the price of shingles its more than I want to pay.

What other options do I have to finishing the roof and making it water proof. We don't get a ton of rain in AZ/

Thanks.

David

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

metal corrugated?

3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

90# (rolled roofing)

4. azurbanchickens

Mar 27, 2012
    I think metal roof would get to hot in AZ. I looked at the rolled roofing and I think it would cost about the same as shingles. Easier to apply though. Couldn't I just paint the roof and put some water sealer on top. I don't have to worry about snow. With the slant roof the water would roll off. Thanks.

5. azurbanchickens

Mar 27, 2012
    Ok I take back the painted roof Idea. I spend lots of Blood, sweat and tears bulding this thing. I want the roof to atleast look good.

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Not sure how long it will last, I'm in Fl, the temp difference is only 20*f but the humidity difference is huge.

I have metal roofing but it's up at 8 feet and provides shade and is water proof- it rains lots here but no snow either...

I guess show us pictures, sunlight weakens wood also-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/album/view/id/6177963/user_id/44847

I have hardware cloth over the rest of it.

7. Tweakster

Tweakster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2012
    Garden Ridge, TX
    I have to agree with the Fire Tiger Thingy person, get a roof. The only thing that could be painted on the wood would be roofing tar, then you'd need to add ballast (gravel) to get something like what they use on flat roofs. It would be best to use some type of roofing, metal, shingles, or roll roofing. UV is tough on roofs and especially to painted on coatings.

P.S. EPDM (rubber roofing) could also work but that stuff is expensive and not so easy to apply.

8. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    We also am working on our coop. we just finished up....well almost, few details yet to do.

When I was shoping for our supplies I found out that Habitat For Humanity had a resale shop near us.

That is where we picked up 3 free windows (in there junk bin) and a $13.50 Steel pre-hung door with a window in it.

My door was a great find....because it already had the "Welcome" sign still attached. Lol.

They are very reasonable in there prices.

9. azurbanchickens

Mar 27, 2012
    Thanks for the comments. I decided to go with the Roll Roofing. I didn't want to deal with lining up shingles.

10. azurbanchickens

Mar 27, 2012
    Roll roofing worked out well. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by