1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

firdt aid kit

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erinm, Mar 30, 2007.

1. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    Hi! What would be anyones recommendations as to what I should have in my chicken first aid kit?
    Thanks. Erin M.

2. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Good Question. I was kind of wondering that myself. It would be good to be prepared, cuz you know how stuff always happens after the stores are closed!!

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

We had this same question on the other board and it was really helpful.
    This is what I suggest-
    A rabbit cage complete with feeder and waterer in case someone needs to be isolated.
    Vet RX
    Antibiotics that you can add to their water
    A small eyedropper or syringe
    Vet wrap (to bandage legs, etc)
    A heat lamp
    Neosporin

I'm having a "senior moment"... somebody add to my list! [​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Carri...I think you about summed it all up...heat, bandages, meds....yup. Maybe good to keep Kayro on hand as well.

I have Sulmet..(antibactiral med)...wound coat spray...( its purple, and looks great on the white hen! LOL ) Electrolyte with vitamin powder....neosporin...bandages..and always have 2 heat lamps..and a spare cage, for sick or injured ones.

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
  6. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    Thank you so much everyone for your great replies! I will be so prepared when I get my chickens thanks to this site! erin M.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by