Fire Ants & Fleas

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Quackers Mama, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Quackers Mama

Quackers Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Our baby duckling is only about three weeks old so he's indoors for now till he's old enough to be outside. We have 2 dogs so the yard is covered in fleas. Also have a couple fire ant hills. Last summer & the summer before we've bought a yard spray that you hook the hose up to (can't remember what it was called). It helped against the fleas, mosquitoes, & fire ants. Now that we have a duckling we won't be using that same spray. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of the fleas, & fire ants (& possibly the mosquitoes) naturally that won't harm Quackers or the dogs.

2. HandyHubby

HandyHubby New Egg

Feb 11, 2014
    I live just to the north of you and have also been infested with fleas....... Maybe the extra rains after years of drought?
    I used this spray this year on the yard: " Vet's Best Natural Flea + Tick Yard and Kennel Spray" available at Amazon. They also have a spray and a shampoo for direct application for the dogs in the same product line. Its all "natural" so I /ASSUME safe for the duckling, but please confirm.
    I also dusted the yard with DE (Diatomaceous Earth)

Good luck.......

3. Quackers Mama

Quackers Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Ah thanks, I'll definitely look into it. I was just reading about DE the other day. Was actually going to give that a go. Only thing that kinda seemed like a pain is you have to reapply after it gets wet. Now that I'm thinking about it, makes me wonder how it'll do with the humidity. Hmmm. How long have you been using it for & have you noticed a difference?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by