Fire ants - how to eliminate?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sjisty, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have always used Amdro on fire ants before I had chickens. Now I'm afraid that they will eat it and get sick. What can I put on fire ant mounds that won't hurt my chickens but will kill the ants?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Amdro is exactly what I use. I try to put it down just before a rain and I don't let the birds out until after it has.

3. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
  4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Some of those solutions will work for some ant species, but none of them with the qualified exception of DE is going to work with fire ants.

The DE can be made to work if you can keep it dry and you're willing to rake out every mound and powder it well. The first rain though and it loses effectiveness.

5. The Kibble Goddess

The Kibble Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Sylvania, Ga
    Drat, I was hoping the chickens would eat the ants. No?

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Thanks, A. T. I'll try the DE. It doesn't look like I have to worry about rain anytime soon.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Have you tried Dawn dishwashing liquid? Said to dissolve the oils on their skin and leaves them vulnerable to infection and such. Its what they used to quell the killer bee invasions from South America. Worth a try!

8. birdsNbeesNseeds

birdsNbeesNseeds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
  9. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    I have lived in Tennessee and now am in Florida, my method of dealing with any ant population is boiling water...effective and don't have to worry about toxins. I boil several large pots of water then pour it into the whole... use enough to really saturate the ground. Sometimes it takes a lot, but it's worth it to be rid of them. Only time I can't use it is if they are in the garden area, then I would lose my plants [​IMG]

10. Tinkspirit70

Tinkspirit70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Central Fla
    I live in fla too and they are a pain, I use ortho powder..First I take a shovel and dig half way down into the mound sprinkle in the ortho and place the dirt back on the mound, then I sprinkle some water on top. It kills the queen as well and the poison is under ground and the water helps dissolve the powder through out the mound. Good luck :eek:) Oh and in the garden I use the paste bait but my girls cant get in there, I just put a little dot on the mound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by