Fire ants in the chicken pen

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CJones06, Mar 9, 2012.

1. CJones06

CJones06 New Egg

Mar 9, 2012
    Tom Bean Texas
    I have ants forming a mound right along the edge of one of my coops. What do you guys recommend for fire ants where the chickens can get to them? This pen is silkies so they are low to the ground and get into everything! Thanks a bunch

2. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Chickens think fire ants are yummy.

3. sachsr

sachsr New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    That's good to know, I usually have a fire ant mound near where I placed my coop. I can't wait to watch the ants suffer:) My kids are tired of the bites.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sevin dust will take care of fire ants.

5. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    One day, shortly after I started letting my chickens free range I noticed one of my girls in the corner of my yard flailing on the ground. I remembered that there was an ant mound there, and I went running out to rescue my chook. Only to find that she was dust bathing in the mound and eating up the ants that came running out to see what was going on. It wasn't long before the others caught on. I almost never have fire ant issues anymore.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    My chickens avoid them and the mounds. They instinctively know fire ants are dangerous. Too many stings with formic acid can kill chickens as well as other animals. You can bring your chickens here, I've got a few mounds they can take of.

7. dustyroad

dustyroad Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    A couple gallons of boiling water onto the mound is suppose to do the trick. My fire ants haven't been enough of a problem to waste the water or fuel to boil it, so I don't speak from experience. I've had good luck with pyrethrin based killers on small mounds. Just exclude the animals until it dries.

*warning: use caution when handling boiling water.*

8. CJones06

CJones06 New Egg

Mar 9, 2012
    Tom Bean Texas
    My chickens seem to be ignoring the mound so ill try some seven dust. I've never had much luck with water, it just seems to make the what's left of the mound relocate. Thanks guys!

9. xanxer82

xanxer82 Out Of The Brooder

Seems like fire ants are a big problem in the south. Haven't had to experience them here in MD yet.

10. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I always use Amdro. Works for us. I carry a jug with me when I mow. Just stop and sprinkle. If its around the chickens I cover the treated mound for a few hours until they carry the bait inside the mound. This drought really helped to knock down the numbers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by