Fire Ants

Fire ants are incredibly hard to irradicate. One sting can kill chicks, quail, a few stings could kill an adult chicken. Not many chemicals are effective enough to destroy the entire colony. I had a LOT of trouble with a mound that was very close to the chicken coop. I tried everything aside from burning the mound. Once winter arrived, the mound went fairly dormant and I was able to dig the entire thing up. I don't recommend this on any warm day as you will be stung. If you are allergic, you could go into shock. A big piece of equipment like a tractor or backhoe could safely dig the mound up any time of year. Just be very careful!!

Personally, I poison them. I have grandkids who are my first concern. Another option is to get a rake or hoe (long handled tool) and flatten the mound. The mound must get to a certain height for the queen to launch, so keeping the mound low means it will eventually die out. that can take some time. I've heard of people sprinkling grits (uncooked) on the mound or using borax. I don't waste my time testing.

Fire ants bite is very dangerous. Fire ants can bite and produce painful, red bumps. But they are very little bit in our house. My friends stay in Connecticut. She was having bundles of Ants in her house that too not only in one place. They were being spread in many places. She was very frustrated seeing this, so she called up Pest Exterminator Fairfield County CT. She took help of them to Pesticide her home. Now it has been almost 6 months, she is not facing any problem.

I know this thread is a couple months old but we have pretty severe fire ants down here. The best thing I've found is the Amdro Fire Ant Bait - within 24 hours it nukes the mound. https://www.amazon.com/Amdro-Fire-Bait-Granules-pound/dp/B000HJDG0U

When the mounds are close to the chicken coop/run (or where they free range) I sprinkle the amdro bait over the mound and cover it with a large plastic collander so the chickens can't get at it. Next day when the mound is dead, I take a small trowel and scoop the bait into a bucket and dispose (again so the chickens don't get at it). Works like a charm and everybody stays safe...except the @#$%^ fire ants!

I'm having a hard time fighting off fire ants in and about my chicken run and coop. Does anyone have a good non-toxic way to kill or get rid of fire ants? Thanks

You could try the old Texas A & M rimity. First you chill a case of Lone Star Beer and then on a hot day you drink the entire case of beer. Next you recycle the beer onto the fire ant hill.
Warning. This does nothing to run fire ants off your property but it does make you feel better about having fire ants on your land. :lau

Back
Top Bottom