fire ants

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by slystr, Apr 1, 2007.

1. slystr

slystr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    what do you all who have fire ants do? I haven't put my chicks out yet but I do get fire ants in the lawn in a few places and I'm worried about the chicks. Those ants are nasty and I wno't want to use something like Round Up cause that would poison the chicks.

2. Djmiller012

Djmiller012 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Tabor, IA
    They will probably eat the ants i would think, i mean mine eat anything that moves...and unless they get into a big pile of them i doubt that it will bother them much...but im not positive

3. Citychick

Citychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    I thought I saw where someone said DE would work on em? And I heard of using grits but it might not be good for the chicks. Good Luck

4. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    If the space that the chicks are going into is up on blocks, posts, etc, you can cover those footings with a product called "Tangle Foot." It is a nontoxic sticky material that prevents the foraging ants from entering a space. Look it up at
    http://www.tanglefoot.com/ to get an idea of what I am talking about.

I know fire ants can kill small animals, so until the chicks are pretty big I agree it is a potential concern (well, for Southern states chickens, not for Montanans).

-MTchick

5. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Just for clarity, are we talking about true fire ants or just red ants? There is a huge difference. If they are just red ants, I wouldn't worry too much, but if they are fire ants--absolutely not. True fire ants are vile little creatures that I wouldn't even submit a full grown dog to. In any case, to kill/get rid of any kind of ant you need some sort of bait. They will take the bait back to the mound and feed it to the larvae and themselves which should take care of the problem.

6. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    We have the fire ants here in Arizona. My girls won't eat them. In fact, the ants, stink bugs, and onion are the only things I've found they won't eat. Can't say as I blame them, but, they'll eat scorpions???

Anyway, we use a product called Amdro. Make a circle around the ant hill, they take it inside, give it to the queen, and within a day or two, the entire hill is dead. Works great, but I'm reluctant to use it near the coop/run because it is a corn product.

7. slystr

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    oh yes I'm talking true Southern Fire Ants. I'm concerned about Amdro. ic AI use it and let the chicks out won't they eat the Amdro?

8. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Okay... silly question here... how does a fire ant differ from a regular red ant? Growing up, all red ants were colloquially called fire ants.

9. slystr

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
  10. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    To try to explain the difference this is the best I can do... Red Ant is to Fire Ant as Honey Bee is to Killer Bee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by