Fire Ants

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tntpeeps, Nov 20, 2010.

1. tntpeeps

tntpeeps New Egg

Sep 18, 2010
    I am EXTREMELY new to Chick'n rais'n and have a question before i buy....
    we live in south texas where there are ALOT of fire ants, and i want to know if it is ok to use fire ant granules (poison) where the peeps are going to be???? someone told me not to use it, and that the cks will eat all the ants anyway....I already have the coop and feed, feeders, etc.....just waiting on the pullet arrival.....but dont want to contaminate the yard w/the granules if it is a danger to new arrivals.....
    thanks!!!

2. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    i would not used it around any kind of pountry they will eat when they are adult just flood the area where u want to keep them.
    my thought is any thing that chicken will be in contract with i would i eat it too. i get enough poison in other ways in my life.

3. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    If you are thinking of using those Mirex granuales I wouldn't. The poison is soaked into ground up corn cobs.

Ants can be a real pain. Here in Arizona, we have those little black ants that get into everything. Some years are worse than others, it all depends upon when and if we get rains.

However, we discovered that they do not like to crawl on black rubber. I don't know why, but they don't. We put all of our feeders up on old cut up inner tubes and tires.

Try it and see if it works with fire ants.

Rufus

4. tntpeeps

tntpeeps New Egg

Sep 18, 2010
    thanks, for the input....i will use the black rubber aound the feeders and see if i can find an organic route to gettin rid of those pesky stingin rascals!!!![​IMG]

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Think about getting a Guiney, that bird can wipe out the ant population in no time flat and will get along fine with your Peeps.

AL

6. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    tntpeeps I feel your pain. I to live in South TX and fire ants are the scurge of the area. One of my broodies lost all of her chicks to fire ants. They don't seem to bother the adults too much. Try getting some food grade DE to take care of the ants. It isn't harmful to the birds at all.

7. sugarjax06

sugarjax06 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Lancaster, CA
    I don't know if this would work but it is an observation. We have goats as well and we used a rollotiller to till their pen before we got them. There are never any ants there or the other area we have tilled. I also have DE. I have sprinkled it on the ant hills and they relocate so I could chase them away if I kept after them. Although they are not in a horrible place now so I am leaving most of them. It was helpful for the pile right under the coop door. You could maybe throw down a good amount of DE while tilling it up too?

Hope that helps!

8. Try getting a package of grits and pouring it in any mounds that are around your yard. That ants will feed it to their queen and she'll die because when they eat the grits they drink also and swell up and die. This always worked for me when I lived in Florida, my mother-in-law told me about it.

black_dove2 likes this.
  9. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My problem with the grits (or corm meal) solution is the chickens eat the grits. However they will not touch that white powdery sprinkle-on poison that does not need to be watered in; one brand is Ortho. The ants do relocate but in much smaller numbers and you can eventually get them all. It helps to sprinkle the mound lightly then sprinkle a circle around the mound about 6" away; evidently this gets relocating ants.

I wish chickens WOULD eat fire ants. Mine won't touch them. I have also had the experience that they don't bother adults but will kill chicks. I think the yolk, etc. attracts them. I usually use DE very sparingly but use more in a broody nest.

DE works fairly well but not as well as Ortho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by