Fire Ants

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by firebugfab, May 17, 2008.

1. firebugfab

firebugfab Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Texas
    I am new to the wonderful hobby of raising chickens. I have 2, 10 week old RIR's that have recently moved into the back yard. They have a house along with a completely fenced run but my kiddos love to let them out to roam the yard and play with them during the day.

Today we had a yard full of kiddos and they and the chickens were playing up a storm when I noticed a large fire ant bed near the swingset. Well I just headed towards the garage to grab the bag of ant poison when it dawned on me that it sure looks a lot like the starter food. Hmmm...bad idea.

SO what the heck to I kill fire ants with now? I need to kill the little pests and here in East Texas, that's a never ending battle.

2. countryatheart

countryatheart Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Victoria, TX
    I have used straight vinegar in a spray bottle to kill ants before! That wouldn't kill the mound though, just those it hit directly. What about diatomaceous earth? I don't know that much about it, but it is safe if the "food" safe variety is used. You could also sprinkle a fairly small amount of the fire ant granules and keep the chickens penned up until the granules are carried into the mound. I don't think it takes all that long!

3. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Have you tried DE?

4. firebugfab

firebugfab Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Texas
    I have not tried DE. I'll look into it and try to vinegar for a quick fix. Thanks!

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    firebugfab:

I used to know a guy who lived just north of Houston, that would pile up dead leaves, grass or straw over the mound 2' to 3' high and lite it up.

He also said that if you took a shovel full from two mounds and swapped it they would kill each other.

He swore that either method would wipe out the whole den, but then he swore a lot about everything.[​IMG]:lau

Kentucky

6. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I think we use to pour gasoline down the hole and light it up! They say those"crazy ants" kill fire ants. can you find any of those...[​IMG]

7. lilcountry

lilcountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    I like the last 2 ideas! I hate fire ants, they get in my garden bad too!

8. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    I always do a mixture of rice and sevin dust. Sevin dust is a bug killer that can be safely used around chickens. I know some people even dust their brids with it for mites. I use the rice for the ants that want to eat, they eat the rice and then it gets inside of them and supposively blows up???? Who knows lol, but it seems to work. Otherwise when I had an ant problem the sevin dust worked well.

Hope it helps!

9. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    K625 - people that use sevin dust ON their chicken wait a week or 2 before eating eggs from the treated chickens. Didnt know if you were aware of this or not or if it didnt apply to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by