Fire at our house today

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by 15shenyl, Mar 20, 2013.

1. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    Our garage started on fire today. With the 60 mile an hour wind it spread back to the chicken coop. Both are gone, the siding of our house is melted. The fence is gone, we don't know how the pool is, but the pool pump is gone. No one was hurt, the only losses that happened were my week old chicks. We put the hens in the shed out back. They are very stressed. Everything is replaceable, but still it was a terrible experience.

2. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    You are very lucky.

If all that is lost is stuff...you can get more stuff.

What happened? Any ideal?

Windy here today...windy like stuff blowing away.
    Yet I saw a residence burning trash in an open barrel.
    Not a wise thing.

But I'm glad you're ok.

3. 15shenyl

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    Thinking an eltrical outlet. We are very lucky that no one was home and all the animals were smart to get away. Like you said, it was just stuff and it can all be replaced over time. We are lucky it didn't get the pro pain tank. Their was sme gas in a can so that didn't help at all. We are all staying home to get everything straightened out and go coop shopping for the hens. They don't like staying in the back shed with a dog crate as a nesting box. Were so thankfull it didn't get the house. Last month, the family that lives down the street house burnt down along with their dogs and the horse died too, we didn't have it as bad as them. All the stuff can be replaced, it's going to be a long few months ahead now.

4. 1Teacherchick

1Teacherchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Northern CA
    Wow! So glad that no one was home! Best wishes with rebuilding.

5. LauraNJ

LauraNJ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    Glad all of you are safe and it sounds like it could have been much worse. Sorry about the chicks but at least your other animals are ok. Fire is so destructive to anything in it's path. You are lucky. Good thoughts for you as you deal with insurance and rebuild.

6. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Thank the Lord you are okay. [​IMG]

7. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

How scary, I am very Thank-full you are ok. I'm sorry to hear about the chicks you lost :(

But again very thank-full everyone else is ok. Such a bad feeling eh? I lost everything, in an apartment fire years ago, nobody really understands, the smell, the heartache, the loss, even small things. I remember I was shocked just at the cost of buying new socks and undies. To replace what was lost.
    My employer actually told me I would have to pay, to buy new uniforms... Jerks, i told them, i just lost everything, I'd sooner get a new job, then buy new uniformrs.. They gave me new ones, after that..

I had an apartment fire, can't even compare to losing what you lost, could have been more. And I will count your blessing, but man. That's the worst feeling in the world. [​IMG] It will get better
    Agian hugs, wish we were closer, I so would love to be able to help you rebuild.
    Btw, on a brighter note, I won, $100. dollars on nevada, the day after.. Might be worth, two dollars to buy a ticket.

8. 15shenyl

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    Got the worst possible news earlier today. The insurance guy came out to look over things. Sence the gerage wasn't attached to the house, they call it an out building. That was a two car gerage with a bathroom and it was insulated, very high quality. But sence they call it an out building, we don't get very much money to replace it, not back to the original shape. They also will not replace the chicken coop or pool lining which melted off the sides of the pool. We get way more than we need for replacing things. He also wasn't going to replace windows, pool pump, bathroom, or or expensive chain link fence or the white fence around our pool. We bought cattle panels to keep the dogs in the yard and the hens away from their coop. The hend are really stressed, they were trying to go through the run and look for their roosts, nesting boxes, food and water containers. Two hens are very stressed, but they were doing a little better today. I'm mad that we won't really be able to get our gerage back or the coop back at all, I don't know what we will do. We will have to see what happens ove time but right now it's very stressful and hard. They also told us we had to list everything that was lost with the price, how old it was, and proof we owned it. We had so many antiques that were from several generations back, you can't put a price on that stuff.

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How awful. Sorry about the chicks.

10. LauraNJ

LauraNJ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    The antiques were in the garage or was you home damaged also? I thought it was the garage and coop and pool, I am sorry if I misunderstood and your home and belongings were also destroyed. Insurance is difficult to deal with. If you have photos, go through them, if family members have photos from when they have come over, ask them to go through the photos so you can prove what you had.

Could you use some boxes as nest boxes for now? During Hurricane Sandy our rabbit hutches were flipped and nestboxes damaged/destroyed so I relocated rabbits in the hurricane to dog crates and they were slightly freaked out. I ended up putting shoeboxes into the crates and the rabbits all managed to squeeze into them. I have large rabbits- 12 lbs and they each squeezed into their own box. It calmed the rabbits down to have the boxes although they looked very silly with the sides of the boxes bulging. Maybe something similiar would help the hens.

Sending you good thoughts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by