Fire belly toads and Under Gravel filters.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Goat_Walker, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Fill me in please. I finally covniced my parents to let me get a few FBTs. SO I bought my UGF today and am having trouble setting it up. I mean I have it set up Im just not sure where to put the "air stone" it was talking about. I have a air pump and everything im just not sure where it comes in.

Also, do you treat the water like you would in a regular fish tank?
    Can I put fish in with my toads, or would that be more of a food source?

I am sort of having second thoughts now that ive been granted permission. On the one hand I REALLY want some, on the other im not sure if this is going to be a hassle like my fish tank was. Help?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I can't help you with the FBT but just wanted to put my 2 cents in regarding UGFs. I hate them! Although I'm talking for fish and ADF (African Dwarf Frogs - which I have had) There are people that love them... I don't know why! [​IMG] I would never use one myself. Although they've come a long way in the last 20 years they are just more prone to problems than a HOB (hang on back) or canister filters. Now, it's possible that they are just what you need for the toads so someone with experience would have to address that and then you can ignore me. [​IMG]

Unless it's really needed for the toads I'd suggest returning it and getting a HOB.

You generally cannot have a planted tank with a UGF as the roots get into the system and mess it up, and you may not want one with toads, again I don't know. Over the years they often get plugged up and the entire tank has to be completely taken apart to fix them.

If you are having second thoughts you might just want to wait for another month or two before going forward and then deciding if you still really want them.

3. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    I use a small Fluval internal filter in my FBT tank. I have it hooked up to run a small waterfall. It works even when the water gets below two inches deep. Here's a picture of my setup.

[​IMG]

And a close-up of the waterfall.

[​IMG]

4. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I think that the under gravel filter needed for the toads unless i cut a hole in the side of the tank fro a hang on.

I love the waterfall set up!

Ive had ADF as well and loved them! I was going to get some of those instead of FBT but I didnt want to have to deal with so much water, so i was thinking of trying something different with the FBT

5. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:How does that work? Ive never heard of it but I love the waterfall effect. Would you say it was simpler to handle than the UGF?

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I have to agree with Chripy about the UGF's. From my limited expereince, they tend to accumulate lots and lots of waste that you can't clean out easily and basically just rots in the anarobic environment made under the gravel. The air stone should go into one of the tubes on the side to create a upwards flow that intends to pull junk down into the gravel to "filter it".

I like the cansiter filters myself for in tank use, and HOB for tanks filled to the top. I like my stuff planted, so I don't use any carbon in the filter media and just rinse to preserve the benificial bacteria. Witha canster, you can put that in the tank at any level and doesn't have to hang on the back of the tank.

7. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I dont plan to have real plants in the tank, they would just die on me. From your description, Im guessing the canister just sits in the tank? that would be perfect if everyth one is saying that the UGF wont be a good choice.

8. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    I think it's simpler than an undergravel. Here is what they look like. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754088

I
    have the smallest one. I hooked up some tubing to it and ran it up inside the background to form the waterfall. Basically followed the instructions on Black Jungle to make the background. But even if you didn't want to go to the trouble to make the background, you can still use the filter. It just sits on the bottom of the tank. I'm sure there are better, more expensive filters, but this one works well for me. I've had my toads in this setup for three years now.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Oh, I second Big Al's!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by