Fire/Burn Aftermath

Afrier

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2020
So our chicken coop burnt down. We have 5 survivors. We moved them all to a new coop. It's way bigger and it's got 1 rooster 4 hens. One hen is more burnt and injured than the rest. I used Vetericyn spray to try and heal the comb burns on all the chickens. They seem minor compared to what it could have been. So the healthier ones now have spots on their combs that are turning white after I sprayed them with Vetericyn spray. It was staying kind of black before I sprayed them. I wasn't sure if that's good or bad? The one who is more injured also has runny poop and she had been confining herself to the coop until yesterday. She came down to eat and the rooster immediately had his way with her and the alfa hen attacked her back into the coop. I'm not sure what to do?

Attachments

• 37CC0B03-9137-4482-911B-7A2EB21D4A50.png
    37CC0B03-9137-4482-911B-7A2EB21D4A50.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 6847D57C-FAD2-49EC-A69D-4EB7D9DF03B6.png
    6847D57C-FAD2-49EC-A69D-4EB7D9DF03B6.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
Here they are

Attachments

• F9789ECD-DBF6-49D1-BA7C-59B9A1C795EA.png
    F9789ECD-DBF6-49D1-BA7C-59B9A1C795EA.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 6AAA9A03-F698-4398-8666-A6FFE11AECA1.jpeg
    6AAA9A03-F698-4398-8666-A6FFE11AECA1.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 10
I would use some plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment on those. Apply a couple of times a day, gently, maybe use a qtip. They may lose parts, but as long as there is no infection, they should heal up. When combs get injured they will often be dark from dried blood. Scabs may be dark. When the scabs fall off there is often a pale spot where it was, that will gradually fade back to a more normal color. When it's damaged, like with frostbite, and burns are similar, the tissue dies, turns lighter or grayish, gradually darkens and then drops off. Looks like the hen in the 3rd picture got it the worst, I wouldn't be surprised if she lost a fair amount of her comb. The roo may lose some tips and maybe that back piece of his comb. I would do the best you can with the ointment and watch for any signs of infection. Combs and wattles usually heal up well. I'm sure they are stressed (how long ago did it happen?), I would keep an eye on the one that's worst, make sure she's eating and drinking. If others are picking on her I would put her in a wire crate in the run with the others, so she can still see and be seen by the others but will be protected. That way you can also monitor better her eating, drinking, and how droppings look. If she seems ill, then she may need to be in a warmer place until she's feeling better.

Very sorry to hear of your coop fire and loss. If you have a regular vet who could prescribe Silvadene ointment, that is very good to apply to burns twice a day. If you cannot get that, since it is prescription only, then use the plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment.

Is this white soiled bottom something I should be concerned about?

thank you guys for theadvice on neosporin!

Attachments

• 7F4BA467-1813-43F2-8C97-7573624D1D12.jpeg
    7F4BA467-1813-43F2-8C97-7573624D1D12.jpeg
    606.7 KB · Views: 6
Sometimes they get dirty tail feathers from runny droppings. Depends on the cause, it's often not a worry. If the bird seems healthy otherwise, eating and drinking normally, then maybe OK. Internal parasites can cause runny droppings, a fecal float test can be done to check for that, not terribly expensive. Drinking a lot can cause runny droppings, dietary changes, other illness's sometimes. If this is something new, and you can't think of anything that has changed, I would get a fecal done and go from there. Some vets will do for you, some will not, it's the same test for all species. You can also use a mail in version:
https://www.amazon.com/Reptiles-Rab...10239939&sprefix=parasite+test,aps,288&sr=8-4

Sometimes they get dirty tail feathers from runny droppings. Depends on the cause, it's often not a worry. If the bird seems healthy otherwise, eating and drinking normally, then maybe OK. Internal parasites can cause runny droppings, a fecal float test can be done to check for that, not terribly expensive. Drinking a lot can cause runny droppings, dietary changes, other illness's sometimes. If this is something new, and you can't think of anything that has changed, I would get a fecal done and go from there. Some vets will do for you, some will not, it's the same test for all species. You can also use a mail in version:
https://www.amazon.com/Reptiles-Rabbits-Turtles-Collect-Sample/dp/B000J5SOZ4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=159OXMMT38ODJ&dchild=1&keywords=parasite+test+kit+for+dogs&qid=1610239939&sprefix=parasite+test,aps,288&sr=8-4
My hen has had that happen twice before. Her vent area is crusty and that leads to even more droppings getting stuck. How on earth do I clean it correctly? She’s a healthy girl and I suspect that the cause is only because her droppings accumulated there over a couples days without my noticing.

Back
Top Bottom