Fire Department almost got me today

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mjdtexan, Apr 8, 2009.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I have been burning the tree stumps from Hurricane Ike that I have all piled up neatly in one pile for the last few days. Next thing I know is one of those new Chevy Tahoes is roaring down my driveway (I have a long driveway) and comes to a halt next to me and my tractor. He says there is a burn ban and that the Environmental Protection Agency is on the back side of the neighbor hood handing another feller a $5000 fine. I couldnt really use a $5000 fine at the moment so I asked him what I needed to do and he said put the fire out. I said I would but I had no idea that we were under a fire ban and that I am one of those news watching freaks who watches the news alot. He gave me a web address to watch. Imagine that.

Mjd

2. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    At least he was nice and didn't fine you anyway...

3. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    At least you didn't get a ticket/fine!

I never know when we are banned either...it must be just a secret group that knows!

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Jeez! Can not burn in your own backyard! I would imagine you guys might be in a drought situation and it would impurdent if you dont burn anything.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

we have to have a burn permit here and call the local fire department before we burn too.

6. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Yea same here, when we get the burn permit, there is a phone number on it, we have to call to find out if it's a burn day or not.

7. Umbral_Necropolitan

Umbral_Necropolitan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Bakersfield, California
    Stupid fire department in my area won't stop people from burning construction garbage but has a conniption if you burn a stump. I can't stand the double standards that are applied haphazardly by my local government agencies... but I digress, you definitely are lucky to get away with just a warning.

I remember a story about my Grandfather involving the fire department. They insisted that his fire extinguisher at his business wouldn't work because they were a few months past expiration date and when they insisted they wouldn't work, my grandfather sprayed the guy with it. There were 3 of them there but only 1 got sprayed, because the two older ones, who were more experienced with my grandfather, knew he was gonna get the rookie with the extinguisher.

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    years ago out here if you were burning a large structure you had to call the fire dept and request them to be there. My dad wanted to burn our old falling down barn and they refused to come out. So he told them he hoped nobody called the fire dept and did it anyway. These days the cops would be there lickety split and hand out a citation.

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:i love your grandpa. i wouldnt take poop huh?

10. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Not very long ago we were in a "burn ban" situation. About 2 weeks ago it was lifted. I just didnt realize that it was reinstated. My fault really. We live in the county not the city and we get away with all kinds of stuff. I havent bought a building permit or a fishing license in forever. Yep, I was lucky.

Mjd

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by