Fire, smoke and egg laying

panner123

Songster
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Garden Valley, ca
With one of the fires just over the hill, my hens have really slowed down. I don't think it is anything other than the smoke. Over the phone I have told an in-law in N. J. about this problem. He said it is just in my head. When I told him that the smoke from the fires were not only in Ca., but Nevada and Or. He still didn't get the picture. So I then told him that if they put all the fires together, it would be larger than the state of Rhode Island. Now the gets the picture. Hope that the hens don't get egg bound. It is just to bad some of the water from the floods of the mid west can't be shipped here. We could sure use the water.

I work with folks out near San Fran and they were telling me how smoky the air is there.

I sure hope those fires die down soon and your girls can get back to business.

Hey panner,
I know what you mean. My girls are off on their laying, too. Combine the smoke with the heat from the last few days and I'm surprised they're laying at all. Thankfully it's cooling down and the smoke has somewhat disapated here. At least I can see the trees across our little valley pretty clearly today, not so the last few days. And your in-law is right - it is all in our head - and our eyes, and nose and throat!

How are they doing on getting that fire near you contained? I hope they can get it out soon, but I know it's not in an easy area to get to. Hope you and yours are all safe!
Liz

I dont care if it says anywhere that smoke, heat, etc wont effect laying, it's happening here, and you know it does too? The Smoke and heat is also causing a decline in my pets activity, and my chickens and pets are starting to look as if they are struggling.
I live in Chico/Forest Ranch on the Doe Mill Ridge and spent days with fire surrounding our immediate vicinity. We were spared the loss of any lives or property (fire came within 200 feet of our yard/they bulldozed brush right up to my Llama's fence). Since the Butte Lightening Complex fire started right after that, there has been no break in the smoke, going on over a month now......it is getting toxic, and I cant bring them all inside?
Hopefully it is over soon, and all we do is miss a few eggs? I hope you stay safe, with a fire so near. !!!!!!!Fire fighters Rock!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom