Fire up the fireplace!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Ok we really didn't need the heat but since i'm a fire bug from way way back, last night we got the fire place going for a little bit. Just as soon as it got going good and started putting off some heat, plop there are 2 dogs right in front of it, a little while later the other 2 are down there sucking up the heat. Then Sharon pushes her way into the middle of the pile. I ended up on the couch.

hmmmmmm I think we need a bigger fireplace. [​IMG]

Steve

2. BlueEngineFarm

BlueEngineFarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    NC
    We started the fire the other night. Man it warmed the place right up. With the rain it is so nice to have it on.
    Lynne

3. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    I want a fireplace....[​IMG] They sound so wondeful and I'll bet the smell of the wood burning is just as nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2009
  4. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    DH says he just can't take the cold anymore and had the woodstove blazing last night when I got home. Warms the old bones right up! The two dogs were curled up in front of it and the two cats just sit in front of it mezmerized by the flames...very cozy indeed!

5. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

oh someday... someday soon when we have a wood burning stove...

I can't wait

6. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    Oooohhhh, a fire... what a fabulous idea. I'm going to get some sticks now and spark up that woodburner! Even though it's freezing cold and rainy outside, I bet I have to open the windows and doors within an hour!

7. tallieb

tallieb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Arizona
    I love my wood stove! A couple years ago we bought a new home I couldn't stand having a furnace so I begged my husband last fall for a wood stove and the winter is much nicer now. We have had to use it a few times this year.

8. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    We have considered getting a wood burning stove but I have reservations b/c of carbon monoxide poisoning. Are there certain things you need to do to prevent that from happening? [​IMG]
    We have a small single floor ranch so I don't think we would need anything that big to heat the house but I don't want to start looking until I know we don't have to worry about carbon mon.

9. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    We have a pellet stove where we used to have a inclosed fireplace with glass doors in our living room. And we have another fireplace that is open concept with stone around it in our front room. We mainly use the pellet stove. I LOVE it! You just fill it in the morning and check it at night. Never have to worry about it going out. It shuts itself off if it gets past your temp you set it at. And it relights itself if it gets too cold. I......LOVE.....it! We plan on getting one that connects to the furnuce in a year or two.

10. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I might be wrong but I don't think you can get carbon monoxide from a wood burning stove. I thought that was a by product of burning gas, oil.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by