Fireants attacked my bunny!

TammyTX

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Texas
....IN THE GARAGE!!!!

I think he's going to be okay but my heart leapped out of my chest!

I have a little Jersey Wooly bunny that we keep in the air conditioned garage. This evening I went to take him out of his cage to run with the chickens and his cage was FULL of fireants. There was not even one in his food, they were after him and had started stinging him on his exposed privates.
hit.gif
They are already blistering.

I don't understand it. I just cleaned his cage out last weekend, his litter pan is cleaned out every other day and the ants weren't in the food. He's over six years old and this has never happened.

Last edited:
Oh wow! That's so scary! I hate those things. We've just had a bunch of rain and that means all those little boogers are coming out of the ground.
somad.gif

I'm glad he's going to be okay.

Put a small dish of water under each of the legs for the cage, and a drop of dish soap. The ant's can't cross it, and they'll leave him alone.

Can't do the water thing, it's not that kind of cage. The rabbit cage sits on top of a larger 2x4 dog cage, about 4 foot off the ground.

I keep going out to check for ants. ARGH! I'm not going to be able to sleep well!
barnie.gif

If you can follow their trail and find the mound I have a trick you can use to kill them off. Pesticide free. Boiled water. Boil water, pans and pans of it and pour them on the mound and around it. It will kill them off with no pesticides but you have to be persistant. They will carry out the dead ants and work on repopulating so you have to do it everyday.

WE used to do this when we lived in Florida. Me and my husband would each keep gong back and refilling the pans and getting another one that was boiling and carry it out and pour it on and around the mound. Those little buggers go deep and if you keep it up they will either move or all die. If the queen moves they will all move. You want to get the queen.

Watch where you stand, they will attack. I would also move the bunny someplace else. They know where to go for food now.

Quote:
There really needs to be a "smack my forhead" smiley because I think we could do that.

So far so good. I used ant bait with Spinosad (safe for vegetable gardens) all around the house parimeter, too. I pour vinegar in the area they were coming in and none have come back.

Quote:
There really needs to be a "smack my forhead" smiley because I think we could do that.

So far so good. I used ant bait with Spinosad (safe for vegetable gardens) all around the house parimeter, too. I pour vinegar in the area they were coming in and none have come back.

There is this smiley
he.gif

Quote:

Glad to help, we adore our buns too.

Back
Top Bottom