fireplace ash and chicken poop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by picklespickles, Jan 4, 2008.

1. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    have you ever put fireplace ash on the floor of a chicken coop? i heard of this but was wondering if anyone has actually done this before?

2. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I sometimes put it in my coop when I am turning litter to keep smells down. I also use it sometimes to dry my run. I put it down while the chickens are free ranging because it makes a big dust cloud when you put it down. I try to limit the amount I use to keep from turning everything into clay. I basically use it in the place of lime when its abundant in winter. When I shovel coop and run I put a little on compost pile before I put leaves on top because it makes for happier neighbors.

1 person likes this.
  3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    We put it in our chicken runs when it was ice covered so they could come outside.

Jody

4. jdypat

jdypat Chillin' With My Peeps

the old farmers tales around here in tennessee say that these ashes will deworm the chickens. ive never seen any signes of worms in my chickens but I do put some out every once in a while. does anyone regularly worm their chickens?

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've never put the ashes in the henhouse but do cool the wood ashes from the woodstove and put in their dust bathing spots in the runs...keeps bugs and mites off them....

6. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    This was very helpful - thank you!

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I read that mixing the ash with a little diatomaceous earth would help keep mites off the peeps. I'm hoping this is trues. I added it to their favirote dust bathing spot...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by