Fireplace ash

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Linda in San Diego, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    I have read about the benifits of providing fireplace ash for chickens to bathe in, but I don't have a fireplace. We bbq frequently, do you think the ash from the charcoal might be similar?

2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I have never heard this, what are the benefits??

3. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Fireplace ash is supposed to keep down smells and insects. Others suggest it can be used to soak up winter messes in chicken yards.

4. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    would pellet stove ash work?

I hadn't heard of putting it in the runs

5. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    good questions - now who has some ideas/answers LOL? [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Wood ashes and coal ashes work as a preventative against most mites and lice. You can dig them a little dust bathing pit and fill it with sand, ashes and DE. They will love you for it.

7. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    very cool! We always dump our wood pellet stove ashes in the woods. Hubby will like this! [​IMG]

8. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Miss P, I am a SoCal girl, so when you say coal ash, is that the same a wood charcoal, or is it heating coal ash, and for that matter, does heating coal leave an ash? LOL - we don't even use a heater here, just sweaters and blankets if it gets below 50.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I would not use charcoal, which has been saturated with lighter fluid. Wood ash, but not charcoal from the grill, IMO. I dont know if coal leaves ash, but I guess it does, huh?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  10. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Lighter fluid is forbidden on my grill, we use a charcoal chimney with newspaper to start the charcoal. If my DH had his way we would use a gas grill despite his agreement that a charcoal grill tastes better. But as I say, no lighter fluid permitted, with a home full of Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, we should be able to start a fire with newspaper and matches! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by