Firethorn Berries??

coastaltx

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 12, 2010
Third Coast
Has anybody fed Firethorn berries to their chickens? Song birds eat them with gusto, and people can, so I figure chickens can. My new property has many Pyracantha/Firethorn bushes that produce huge numbers of seeds. Figure free chicken food. Experiences?

Has anybody fed Firethorn berries to their chickens? Song birds eat them with gusto, and people can, so I figure chickens can. My new property has many Pyracantha/Firethorn bushes that produce huge numbers of seeds. Figure free chicken food. Experiences?
Any update on how your chickens liked the firethorn? I’m thinking of planting a lot of them.

Be aware that pyracantha berries can ferment if they stay on the bush a long time. I have had many Robins get drunk off of them. I imagine a drunk chicken can be hilarious, robins are.

As a gereal rule if you can eat it chickens can eat it. Firethorn is in the Rose family & I've seen my chickens peck at the Rose Hips so I assume Firethorn berries would be ok. I have no idea what they would provide nutritionally though.

Be aware that pyracantha berries can ferment if they stay on the bush a long time. I have had many Robins get drunk off of them. I imagine a drunk chicken can be hilarious, robins are.
I’m thinking about getting drunk on them too!

firethorn seems to have so many uses in a chicken food forest. I plan to spam them so long as I’m certain chickens will eat them. I was thinking of adding them to my very own grain mix: dried soldier fly larvae, corn, sunflower, amaranth, firethorn berries. It will be a winter supplement feed. What do you think? Any additions?

Back
Top Bottom