FIREWOOD? Would you burn this? Advice, opinions needed

ranchhand

Rest in Peace 1956-2011
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
13,295
85
291
SC
We have dozens of huge oaks on the property, many have lots of dead limbs. Every time it storms they shed branches of all sizes.

Some of the branches have lichen growing on them, see photo below.

Is it safe to use them as kindling in an indoor fireplace? The fireplace is brick, about 108 years or older.

Thanks for any help.

14937_lichen.jpg
 

Chicks_N_Horses

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
2,722
10
191
South Alabama
Well I have never researched lichen on branches for firewood but I will tell ya we do use lots of them. We keep piles of little branches/twigs/lightered to use as kindling. Never had any issues with using lichen covered branches.
 

wombat

Songster
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
1,484
9
151
I don't see where this would cause any problem.

The main problems with what you can burn in a fire place are using unseasoned wood and/or too much pine and causing creosote to build up, which causes chimney fires ... or burning chemically treated wood, and treating yourself to nasty fumes.

Outside those things, I don't think you'd have problems with what you burn in your fireplace.
 
Last edited:

Reinbeau

The Teapot Underground
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
5,469
22
271
Hanson, MA & Lebanon, Maine
They'll burn just fine. Make sure they're good and dry, though, that lichen can hold a bit of water.

If you have birch with those shelf-lump type mushrooms on it, they're valuable kindling, you can keep the mushrooms in a bag and use them for firestarters, they burn wet or dry!
 

ranchhand

Rest in Peace 1956-2011
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
13,295
85
291
SC
Quote:
Really! Dang Reinbeau, I have those things growing on stumps and big logs all over. They're beautiful. Not on birch though, no self-respecting birch grows this far south.
hmm.png


But I have oak and pecan firewood from last year, and it's so humid here that all kinds of fungi and ferns grow on them.


Thanks for the heads-up!
big_smile.png
 
Last edited:

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
3,832
29
221
The only issue I can see with it, is the lighter pieces floating up the chimney. Other than that, no issues with burning it. Oak is good for burning, no reason to waste it.
 

1stepcloser

Poultry In Motion
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
812
11
141
Dover, TN
Quote:
They sell tons of those in Alaska all dried out. The locals call them "punk". I think some people even smoke them.
hmm.png
 

ranchhand

Rest in Peace 1956-2011
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
13,295
85
291
SC
Quote:
They sell tons of those in Alaska all dried out. The locals call them "punk". I think some people even smoke them.
hmm.png


I'll pass on smoking them!
sickbyc.gif


As far as floating up the chimney, we have a tin roof. But, we're thinking some hardware cloth would be good to keep from lighting up the woods. But would that impede the escape of smoke?
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom