fireworks -n- young chickens

Fool

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
We're coming up on the Fourth of July and my young birds will be 18 weeks old at that time. This area really lights 'em off in a big way, nearly professional grade stuff and lots of it. It's actually really hard to convey the kind of fireworks that are common in this area and the huge volume that will go up in smoke. I'm thinking it's going to scare the bejeezus out of the little hens. Maybe even scare some of them to death. Any thoughts on preparing them for the celebration? Does anyone else live in a similar area?

I've actually started shooting a cap gun around 'em like I would with young gun dogs, but I can't move up to the bigger noisemakers around here.

I was really worried about the same thing on New Year's eve. I stayed outside near the coop in case they freaked out. I would shine the flashlight into the coop every little while to make sure all was well and the only thing I noticed was my roo growling a bit. It didn't take me long to realize that it was me (and the flashlight) who was causing them stress, the fireworks were not bothering them.
idunno.gif

Before we joined the city, and they became illegal, the fireworks were insane here. Sounds like where you live. Never even had the chickens react to them.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom