Fireworks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickenlovers6, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Chickenlovers6

Chickenlovers6 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    I would (obviously) like to get some chicks this year, but we are usually gone during the Fourth of July for about five days. We have found someone that is willing to take care of the chickens while we are gone, but we live in the suburbs and people in our neighborhood always go out on this holiday and do fireworks in our street. A friend of mine said that his chickens don't seem to mind, but I just want to make sure. Any of you guys know what the chickens think of fireworks? (Will it hurt their ears, ect.) Thank you!!!![​IMG]

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    It may disturb their sleep but they put up with all sorts of noise pretty well. Cars,motorcycles,lawnmowers, blowers, loud music,tractors, barking dogs....they'll be fine![​IMG]

3. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014

It may frighten them.
    Your friend may think its not,but it may be...

This can cause bad egg producing.I wouldn't suggest on leaving them with your volunteer,especially if he's never done chickens before.
    Y
    You may wanna learn more about them,and let the volunteer know more.
    Any help with breeds?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  4. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    I do fireworks just up driveway,right near the coop.
    I doubt it hurts the ears,but this you,never know on these subj.

Plus,their ears are protected bu a tuff of feathers.
    I discovered this,got curious,and then I kinda ruffled threw the feathers,and pop,a little gole right above the earlobe,lol!

ThePRfan

5. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I don't mess with fireworks much anymore but I do shoot guns around my place. Does it hurt them? I very highly doubt it, will it get them to running for cover and likely doing some squawking, very definitely. Chickens are a worrisome bird, sudden loud noises will startle them, could stress them some maybe slow their laying a little temporarily but I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure whom ever you have to watch your chickens will do fine, one doesn't need to be a chicken expert to feed and water and collect eggs for a week, as long as they know to keep them from getting loose and how to handle it if they do get out on them they should be fine

6. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    There is more to chickens then just watering and feeding them.
    What if they get sick?What if 1 go broody?
    If the volunteer has no idea how to handle sick hens/roosters,I would defintly learn and tell them.

Also,what if he doesn't want chicks?The volunteer likely doesn't know how to break broodies,nor even know if one is.

If his hens are friendly and liked petted,the volunteer likely won't,and the hens become unuse to be picked up,and petted.

7. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    x2. Besides, their hearing is not as sensitive as dogs. As long as no one is setting off fireworks right next to the coop, it's not going to sound that loud inside a closed coop.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  8. Chickenlovers6

Chickenlovers6 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    Ok, thanks for the answers! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by