1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Firing up the wood stove tonight. How cold is it where you're at?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BBQJOE, Nov 3, 2015.

1. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    It's supposed to get down to 42° tonight. 38° tomorrow night.
    This is AZ dagnabbit, I'm prepared for this, just not ready mentally for it.
    I've got two cords of mesquite stacked and ready to go. I can stand the cold much better than the wife, up to a point.
    The wife has the tomatoes wrapped with sheets in case of frost. I want those babies!

I'm happiest around 70°.

If anyone is curious how to get the degree symbol, press alt, hold it, and type 248.

What are you predicted for the night, and what are you going to do about it?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  2. KatharinetheGr8

KatharinetheGr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC
    It's going to be a low of 59 degrees here in upstate SC this evening. Which is lovely for having a drink on the deck or roasting smores over the campfire, but doesn't cool off my bedroom sufficiently. I'm most comfortable sleeping in a room between 65-68, and it seems that the magic outside temperature to naturally cool our bedroom off to that range is about 45.

Look on the bright side! Nothing cozier and more romantic than fire in that wood stove! Grab a hot chocolate, hot toddy, or some mulled wine and snuggle up for the cold weather!

3. BBQJOE

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    The prescribed cocktail for me always involves tonic, limes, and some of that stuff from Russia, or something similar. The wife likes the stuff that's made in Mehico.

4. KatharinetheGr8

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC
    @BBQJOE nothing says you can't enjoy your favorites just because its cold outside! This is where coozies come in extra handy! Keep your hands warm while you enjoy your favorite cool beverage!

[​IMG]

5. BBQJOE

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    It was somewhere around 56° when I woke up this morning. Decided not to build a fire last night, but have one going this morning. It's cold and drizzling.
    The chickens might need their parkas.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It got down to 29 F here in Kalispell, MT during the night, but it's suppose to warm up to 45 F this afternoon.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    got down to 27 last night - had my Nestle hot cocoa with mini marshmallows - good but needs more marshmallows.

8. BBQJOE

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    It was considerably warmer last night, we didn't need a fire, but the wife and I alternately drained each other of our respective heat.

9. unmistakablySam

unmistakablySam Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    We're at 47 in NYC and I'm already using heavy blankets haha

10. KatharinetheGr8

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC
    Well it is 55 here in rainy, windy, upstate SC. I swear it feels about 30 out there. I'm afraid I'm losing all my cold-weather hardiness!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by