Firs time chick owner! What are the steps?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FDaniels, Feb 26, 2014.

1. FDaniels

FDaniels Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    Oneonta, AL
    So we're getting 5 girl sex links Friday from TSC and I'm wondering what are the steps we need to take to keep them alive & healthy from the day we get them until they're ready to go outside? I know what to do when they get older but I've never had baby chicks before. We both work 8 hour days so is it ok to leave a heat lamp (one from TSC) on over their box while we're gone? As long as we made at least 1 to 2 trips home during the day to check on it? We live in Alabama and the weather, right now, gets up to about 40 during the day (we work day shifts). Am I thinking right that using a wire dog crate, straw bedding, a heat lamp, chick feeder/waterer & starter feed is all we'd need. And at our TSC the only chick feed brands they sell are Dumor & Purina. Which one is better? At least until we can figure out where to get organic feed from?

Any & all advice is greatly appreciated!! Is there anything I'm not thinking of? Or does what I have above sound right? The girl I talked to at TSC the other day said they'd be getting new chicks in this week so I'm assuming they'll be day(s) old chicks maybe?? We're really excited & so nervous. We've already got names picked out for them but they may change once their personalities develop but the names right now are: Crickee, Pecka, Nugget, Henny Penny & Chixee :D But basically what do we need to do from the day we get them until they're ready to go outside?

Thanks!!!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

3. brood mother

brood mother Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    Brandon, Ms
    I am new with chicks too. I have mine in the house inside a plasti dog kennel with wire door. Have pine shavings and straw in it with there feeder and water holder. Will have heat lamp fixed to shine towed the opening and also have quilt drapped over the top and sides to help insulate it. Hope I'm doin ok cause I've only had for two days!

4. FDaniels

FDaniels Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    Oneonta, AL
    Congrats on the new members! I hope everything goes well. One thing I learned yesterday is that heat lamps are really dangerous & easy fire hazards which is what we were going to go with but someone told me to look at the Premier 1 heat plate since it's safer so that's what we're going with. I hope your lamp stays safe but I thought I'd pass along the advice. :D good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by