1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

first 12hrs of incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jnandrew88, Aug 1, 2014.

1. jnandrew88

jnandrew88 In the Brooder

Jul 9, 2014
    Hi,

Is it true that eggs should not be turned or moved on their first 12hrs of incubation?

2. Rashid100

Rashid100 Songster

Jul 13, 2014
    When eggs are shipped they must sit still pointy end down for about 12 hours but once you put them in the bator and they have warmed up, u may start the turning cycle.

3. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Songster

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I have only ever followed that with shipped eggs, my eggs went strait from the coop to the incubator and turning started 8 hours later :)

4. spotsplus

spotsplus Songster

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    I like to let shipped eggs sit for 8-12 hours little side down before going into the incubator so that if the egg cell got damaged in shipment it may help to let it settle. There is also a school of thought that with eggs that have damaged egg cells to put them in the incubator small side down and only rotate them side to side for the first two days of incubation to help those damaged egg cells. I've seen limited success by doing this but some chicks did hatched even though egg cell was detached.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: