first 2 chickens have concerns

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by squeakers85, Aug 26, 2014.

1. squeakers85

squeakers85 New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    fresno ca
    I have one I know what is wrong just don't know what to do, she has scissor or cross beak and it seems bad but I don't know what is omg horrible or she will be okay. The other is having feather issues like the lack of feathers on her back neck and butt. They are on starter scratch with some cornmeal treat as well as hard corn diet. I don't know what breed either are but Hoot the one with cross beak is about 9 weeks and Peepers the featherless butt one is about 7 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. One of your chickens looks like a turkey poult, but I'm not sure. Chicks feather in at differing rates, but most chickens are feathered by 6-7 weeks. Their diet is not complete, and scissors-beak chickens can have low vitamin D3, or may have gotten it from parent stock with deficiencies. 20% chick starter grower is all you should be feeding them right now, until they get close to laying age around 20 weeks old. No scratch, and no corn, because those only contain 8% protein, and lack vitamins and minerals. Here is a good link to read about how to deal with a cross beak chicken to help them eat: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/03/scissor-beak-aka-crossed-beak-what-it.html

3. squeakers85

squeakers85 New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    fresno ca
    Thank you for the link there is a lot of helpful information on it. So Peepers is possibly a turkey? We have suspected that she could be, but were not sure. She was are rescue that showed up in are yard a few weeks ago and we saved from are cat. She was a baby and we assumed it was a baby chicken but she has been slow at getting her feathers and a lot more aggressive then hoots or my two younger chicks who are still under heater light for a few more weeks. How can I find out for sure if she is a turkey or not?

4. Doodle777

Doodle777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2013
    It reply by accident. I trim the lower part for him about every other month when I notice it's getting to long. I use a very sharp pair of dog nail clippers. You can see the white part growing out that needs to be cut.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by