1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First 2 pips!!! And now, 1st peep! Updated....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SkeeredChicken, Mar 8, 2007.

1. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Just saw my 1st 2 pips in my incubator. I couldn't resist the urge to open it and see if anything happened. That's when I snapped this photo on my phone:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  2. dogbitesandbeestings

dogbitesandbeestings Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2007
    MA
    How exciting!!! Now don't open it again!! Words of experience!

What are you hatching?

Karen

3. SkeeredChicken

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Hatching Buff Orpingtons. Hopefully they resist the urge to completely hatch intil I get home. I'd like to see the eggs hatch through the picture window [​IMG]

4. Looking good!! Congratulations!!

(Do I see Button eggs in there [​IMG]

Lisa
    [​IMG]

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Hip Hip Hooray! That is great and take in from someone who agonizes over the last two days, the hard part is yet to come. Good Luck with your hatch.

6. SkeeredChicken

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    And now, announcing.... My 1st peep ever, as seen through my bator window!!! Claimed that egg as a throphy [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, Dipsy, those were Button Quail eggs. Sad thing is that I believe those eggs are dead. I accidentally had the bator they were in unplugged (not sure how long, but the eggs were cold). Not to mention the Hovabator had trouble getting up to temp on 2 cold nights. I'm thinking it was either too cold or the fan I recycled from an old computer not being installed right (either because I didnt use all the bolt holes or needed to close some more). In either case, I may order more eggs before Sunday.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  7. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Such a relief to see those pips [​IMG]....even if they belong to someone else [​IMG]

8. SkeeredChicken

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    As an update to the Button Quails [​IMG], I guess, they're alive after all. I pulled one out out of curiousity and opened it up. To my dismay, there was a living chick in there. So if anyone actually reads this, and you're in doubt as to whether or not your eggs are growing....Leave them in the bator until there's no chance they're alive.[​IMG]

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Great job on your hatch...hope the chicks keep coming for you. [​IMG]

And excellent advice on opening an egg. If you really, really have doubts and want to see, you can candle...or if that doesn't help, only chip a tiny piece of shell from the air (top of the egg) sac. This way if there is a live one in there, you can place a piece of scotch tape on the hole and put it back. Been there, done that. It is very sad to open one by cracking the entire egg and seeing a little life still trying to thrive in there.

Hang in there..you're doing fine.

Jody

10. SkeeredChicken

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    So far, only 1 quail has hatched. Boy that thing is looking lonely. He's trying to sit under the chicks for warmth, but they dont always play that way. Wonder if they see him as more of an annoyance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by