1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First 2nd time raising cochins

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by silky ma, May 31, 2016.

1. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    My silkie hen and incubator hatched out 14 of 28 calico Cochin eggs and mama did a great job raising the chicks. Now I need help sexing. The chicks are now 56 days old (8 wks)

It is my thought that at this age the growing Roos have larger and redder combs and wattels. Am I correct?
    In the second pic the blue marked chick has tried to crow and the one next to him on his left I Marked pink -I think is a boy and is marked pink cause it loves my attention. You can barely see the pink. Am I correct that The combs and wattels grow faster and redder in developing Roos? Is this a dependable way to sex young Cochins?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WyandotteIndeed

WyandotteIndeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Yup, the pink and blue marked ones are both boys, and possibly the one at the very back of the row, but I can't see it's comb as well.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Congrats on your hatch! I've got some calico bantam cochin eggs in the incubator now [​IMG]

You are spot-on about sexing. I've not raised this color before, but all my other color bantam Cochins, the males get those larger red combs pretty darn early.

4. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Great!! It looks like I have 5 boys. I already have 3 silky adult Roos so I will only be able to keep one from this batch. So the one who has the sweetest disposition and is sweet on me will stay.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Where are you located?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I've never seen cochins that color - that are beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by