1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First 3 eggs...all soft...all broken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eggsontoast, Apr 6, 2011.

1. eggsontoast

eggsontoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    North Atlanta suburbs
    Two of my three pullets have started to lay. Both have only laid soft shelled eggs so far...two or three each. All but one have been broken in the coop or nesting box. At first, i thought that they were broken because they were so delicate. This morning however, the "egg" I found was destroyed. I dont know if the contents were eaten...i can't really tell. Obviously, i dont want my chickens to get in the habit of eating their eggs. I'm giving them oyster shell and layer feed to strengthen their shells. How long does it take to "work"? Should i do anything in the meantime?

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Hens will peck at the eggs to check that they wont break-so that they are not a danger to the rest of the clutch if an egg breaks yes they will eat it. I have found some soft shell eggs left alone and some only after I notice they are eating them. Since they just started to lay it will take their system a while to get it figured out. I would just wait and watch they should be laying strong eggs here soon.

3. ChickenGirl3

ChickenGirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    If you feed them laying feed their shell will get stronger in 2-3 days, If you chicken is eating the egg you have to put some egg yokes and egg whites in a easter egg to stop it early. Collect real eggs continuously. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. eggsontoast

eggsontoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    North Atlanta suburbs
    I'm confused as to why i would put real egg into a plastic egg shell and give it to the chickens. Isnt that just rewarding their behavior? Wouldn't that teach them them there is something yummy inside their eggs? [​IMG]

5. ChickenGirl3

ChickenGirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    If they cant crack the egg than.... they just give up and stop.

6. cabot

cabot Chillin' With My Peeps

when mine started laying last fall, several had soft shelled broken eggs but within 2 weeks, all was fine ! They just need time to sort out the assembly line... I didn't have to supplement their pelleted feed at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by