First Aid Book

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovemy6hens, Nov 3, 2014.

1. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Will someone please recommend a detailed first aid reference book for chickens? There are quite a few on avian first aid, but I can't find one that focuses on poultry. Gail Damerow's two books "The Chicken Health Handbook" and "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" are great, but I'd really like to have one with more detail.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Really, you could just do a lot of reading here on many articles on the Learning Center above, and by doing searches on any topic in the search bar at the top of the page. If you become a real chickenaholic, then read the emergency thread everyday. Many responders give good links about all subjects having to do with emergency illnesses. Just go back as far as you can on the emergency thread, and you can pick up a lot of info. Also, there is our good friend Google where all kinds of scholarly articles can be found about poultry.

3. lovemy6hens

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Great suggestions, Eggcessive. Thank you very much!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome.

5. lovemy6hens

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    In answer to my own question, I've just purchased "Poultry Behaviour and Welfare" by Michael C. Appleby, Joy A. Mench, and Barry O. Hughes. If anyone has additional suggestions, please post. :)

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Looking for more in depth knowledge? Simply type "poultry" in the search box. Here you go:
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/index.html
    Personally, I like to keep it as simple as possible.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  7. lovemy6hens

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Thank you, dawg53! That's a great link to bookmark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by