1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Aid for chicken wounds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladyeccowolf, Oct 25, 2015.

1. ladyeccowolf

ladyeccowolf Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2013
    Ohio
    My flock was attacked by unknown predator. We have one Silver Lace Polish rooster that survived but his feathers were plucked out of his head. We have him in our bathtub now to gently wash his wound but we weren't sure if we could use Neosporin, or what else we could use. So far the only other injury he appears to have is a sprained ankle. What are his chances of surviving this?[​IMG]

2. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Oh jeez! Chickens can survive some pretty amazing things if you can keep him from getting infected.

I would not use any harsh antiseptics (peroxide, alcohol, etc...). I would be worried about shock, after you wash him I would probably keep him warm in a dark box/kennel. If he survives the night then start thinking about preventing infection IMO.

Poor boy!

3. cluckey

cluckey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Oh yikes poor chicken. We've had two chickens get attacked and had some wounds and we users vetericyn gel spray. It is safe for chickens and helped heal the wounds really well. I used hydrogen peroxide and warm water to wash the wounds then sparked the gel on them. It's a bit pricey but works really well. Here is a picture of our latestwounded chicken. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by