First aid kit for poultry?

PatS

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
Northern Califonia
Hi, poultry lovers!

I live in a remote area, and if something happened to any of my birds (chickens and turkeys) on a Thursday or Friday, I might not be able to get to a store that was open for several days. Soooo, what kinds of things should I have on hand to "be prepared?"

I'm looking for basic first aid and medicines for the most common illnesses.

Also, how do you administer medicine to a bird? Give it in pill form? I know lots of stuff tastes terrible, so if it were dissolved in drinking water, they might not take it.

So what is your list of things to keep on hand, and how do you use it?

Thanks to everyone!

syringe with and without needle (use for a variety of things from cleansing a wound, to feeding, to shots, etc.)
eye dropper for slower uses
I have used Tea Tree oil on wounds with good luck but some on this forun say it is toxic... I always keep some on hand
bird vitamins and electolyte powder to be mixed
super glue

This "kit" is a good idea, so I will be interested to see what else we should put in it.
smile.png

I am also interested in this topic! Including medications and their uses... and where to purchase. My TSC does not sell poultry meds. Ive already done some searches and didnt find much info.

Thanks, mmaddie's mom.

I have read that fish-zole is good for treating one fairly rare turkey disease, blackhead, but I don't know about other more common diseases of turkeys and chickens. I can order it over the internet cheaper than at the farm supply store two towns over. But as to how to best administer it, I'm clueless.

The syringes are a good idea.

C'mon, Folks, what else should we get?

Bottles of saline solution
tweezers
Blu cote
Ivermectin injectable
Apple cidar Vinegar with the mother!
yogurt=plain
Avian vitamins drops
disposable pads (large blue ones used for people for incontinence) great for bottom of crate when you want things clean and dry during isolation
super glue
bandages and items for making splints for example sm. flat wooden sticks and aluminum finger splints
Tums (for emergency dose of calcium)
latex and rubber gloves with long sleeves
Hydrogen peroxide
Alcohol
heating pad
heat lamp
ice bag
hot water bottle
droppers
chicken diapers
applesause=no sugar added type
small chick waterer and feeder or other more spill proof containers for cage or crate, so you can tell exactly how much they are eating and drinking
your choice of mite/lice treatment for chickens and their coop and run, for example, sevin dust
DE=diatomatious earth edible type
Quick stop- sulfer powder that is sold to stop nails from bleeding that were trimmed too close on dogs and cats - stops bleeding when applied with pressure to wounds

Sorry if any of these are repeats from what others have posted, just trying to remember everything I try to keep on hand, just for use on the birds.

Take care of you and yours,

Deb

Great suggestions , so far!

A really good cleanser for wounds, rashes, etc....Hibiclens...
"has antiseptic activity and persistant antimicrobial effect with rapid bactericidal activity against a wide range of microorganisms." ...
"up to six hours of residual germ killing activity"

My husband found this at a pharmacy... used in hospitals... very gental.

Back
Top Bottom