First Aid Kit Thoughts....

TomZilla43

Songster
5 Years
Apr 23, 2017
White House, TN
I need to put together an emergency first aid kit for my girls as I currently do not have one in place. I would love to hear from folks with a good bit of experience what the absolute essentials of a good chicken first aid kit are and maybe some items that aren't "essential" but are definitely handy to keep on hand.

@casportpony has put together an excellent and comprehensive list. It might even be considered overkill but I don't think she overlooked anything one may possibly need.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/

At my house, essentials are:
saline
betadine
eye type triple antibiotic ointment
a good bandage sheers
medical tape
gauze
syringes
needles
eye dropper
liquid skin bandage (works great for repairing cracked hatching eggs)

Last edited:
@casportpony has put together an excellent and comprehensive list. It might even be considered overkill but I don't think she overlooked anything one may possibly need.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/

saline
betadine
a good bandage sheers
medical tape
gauze
syringes
needles
eye dropper
liquid skin bandage (works great for repairing cracked hatching eggs)[/QUOTE

saline
betadine
a good bandage sheers
medical tape
gauze
syringes
needles
eye dropper
liquid skin bandage (works great for repairing cracked hatching eggs)
Thank you for the insight, I looked at Casportpony's thread. I've been very fortunate not to actually have need of a kit yet, but I'm sure that good fortune won't last forever.

Hopefully you never will need a kit but it is good insurance.
When catastrophe or disease happens, it is best to have something on hand rather than need to head to the drug store or feed store.
Occasionally I've had to treat birds that were attacked by raccoons and dogs. That's where I came up with the list I posted.
I also have Corid and a couple antibiotics on hand but haven't used either in so long they have to be replaced because they are expired.
In case a bird dies, heaven forbid, I keep an insulated box and freezer packs on hand for shipping to the vet school.
With extremely rare birds, any that die from an other than obvious cause get shipped there for necropsy and complete lab work. I usually even have a positive balance in my Mizzou veterinary college account to cover the next shipment. To date, no diseases were detected - mostly just cancer and heart attacks.

A very good list and link from @ChickenCanoe

Making plans and being prepared goes a long way.

Something else to think about is where and how you will keep a sick or injured chicken. Having a large tote or wire dog kennel on hand is always a good idea. Sometimes a chicken may need to be separated completely for extra care, other times a kennel set up in the run or coop will be sufficient.

If you have space, you can also just have an extra shelter built to house a chicken or 2 that needs to be separated. I use my grow out area for separation, but a kennel comes in handy when I have babies and the pen is in use.

One or two other things:
epsom salts
a dedicated dish pan - you will find this comes in handy for a number of things, from washing a poopy rear end to soaking an injured foot.

For most of your medicines/supplies, put those in a small see through tote with a list so you know what you have on hand.

Oh! Don't forget rubber gloves and a few face masks too!

LOL One more thing - it never hurts to have some poultry vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench or similar on hand - these can be used to perk up a chicken as well as give the whole flock a boost every now and then.

Good advice.
I buy Epsom salts when they are on sale just because they are great to have on hand, mostly for bumblefoot.
I always recommend for people that own chickens that they need to have at least one other housing option (before it is needed).
It can be used for quarantine of new, sick, injured birds, broody hens, etc..
Once a bird is sick or injured, it is too late to build a small coop.

ETA
Oh, another thing that is on Casportpony's list that I always have is Nutri-Drench.
Great stuff.
Gro2Max is another I always have. Probiotics specifically formulated for chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom